Estes - Viking (#1949) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamy

Reaction score
Estes-Viking.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
A demonstrator I built for our Cub Scout Rocket Day build event. I think it came out well. This and an Alpha will be used to show construction techniques and finishing options.

i-9j5WwRh-XL.jpg

No flights yet...

EDIT: First flight on Estes A8-3. Kevlar thread pulled out of the paper tab mount. One fin broke in half upon landing, all pieces recovered, I can rebuild it.

I was a little late on the camera trigger for lift off.

Viking lift off missed.JPG

Attachments

• PB010958.jpg
    PB010958.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Welcome to the Estes Viking (#1949) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Viking (#1949) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Viking: #1755
Estes: Viking: #1949

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Viking (#1949) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Viking Also known as:

NUMBER: #1949

Introduced: 1986
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 12.1 in. (30.7 cm)
Diameter: 0.74 in. (19 mm)
Span:
Weight: 0.6 oz. (17 g)

Mfg. Description: The Estes Viking is one fantastic research rocket with 48 possible different fin configurations! This kit gives you five special die cut card stock fins that allow you to create a rocket that's a truly unique rocket of your own design! Take your pick on how you want your rocket to look; fins up, fins down or fins whatever way. You call it, it's your day to be the rocket designer! Customize your own rocket...no matter how you place the fins, it still offers the ultimate in high performance model rocket flight!

This Skill Level 1 rocket kit includes a single piece body tube, molded nose cone and self-stick decals. This rocket is just over 12 inches tall. When flown on standard engines, the Viking is able to reach amazing launch heights over 1600 feet and land safely with its bright orange streamer. The versatile Viking can be built in an afternoon. It's a great high altitude rocket for beginners, class projects, clubs and rocket demonstrations. (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-viking%201949-1986%20cat.jpg
1986 Catalog
estes-viking%201949-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-viking%201949-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-viking%201949-instr%201.jpg
estes-viking%201949-instr%202.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Viking (#1755) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Viking Also known as: Bulk Pack Viking

NUMBER: #1755

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 12.1 in. (30.7 cm)
Diameter: 0.74 in. (19 mm)
Span:
Weight: 0.6 oz. (17 g)

Mfg. Description: The Viking can be built with three, four or five fins in 48 possible arrangements. This makes it perfect to use for comparison studies in aerodynamics. In fact, the Viking is so popular there’s even a GEMS book written for it. No matter how you place the fins, this unique, adjustable rocket offers the ultimate in high performance model rocket flight!

This easy-to-build, Skill Level 1 rocket kit includes a molded nose cone, a single piece body tube, card stock fins and self-stick decals. It’s another friction fit, standard engine rocket that requires simple painting. The Viking can reach amazing launch heights over 1,600 feet and will drift back to earth on a bright streamer. The Viking is our most economical bulk pack rocket, so if you‘ve got a tight budget it’s definitely the one for you! (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-viking%201755-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-viking%201755-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-viking%201755-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine. This was the fist rocket I built as a BAR. You may notice the decal is messed up. I was going to clear-coat it with something (don't remember what now) and it started to run almost instantly, so I held off. :facepalm:

5062906503_c5e98e377b.jpg

Not a duplicate, just a slightly different edit of the above video.

This go here or in the Der Red Max gallery? :) Did this after buying the cheap bulk pack. Viking parts except for the decals and the BT-5 tube for the motor mount. There was enough extra card stock on the fin cards in that pile of kits to cut out these fins.

this is awesome lol, those bulk pack sales were awesome

My 11yo son built and painted this; he borrowed the paint effect from a rocket I recently was finishing up. Blue is Rustoleum Imagine Shimmer Sapphire. Black crackle coat on the bottom, then gloss clear. He did a nice job on this rocket. Next up for him is a Goblin :)

Attachments

• 20210428125207_IMG_5517.JPG
    20210428125207_IMG_5517.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210428125147_IMG_5514.JPG
    20210428125147_IMG_5514.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 20
My 11yo son built and painted this; he borrowed the paint effect from a rocket I recently was finishing up. Blue is Rustoleum Imagine Shimmer Sapphire. Black crackle coat on the bottom, then gloss clear. He did a nice job on this rocket. Next up for him is a Goblin :)
I really like the paint job it's so cool looking with the fade from the blue to the black, then the crackle finish. Out of this world looking.

550430-IMG-20240302-163019735-HDR.jpg

My six-fin version, バイキング6("Viking 6"). There was plenty of fin material left over to make the extra fin.

Other modifications: I moved the fins forward a bit so I can wrap tape around the bottom to retain the motor. I also installed an ejection baffle. I attached a kevlar shock cord to the baffle.

550430-IMG-20240302-163019735-HDR.jpg

My six-fin version, バイキング6("Viking 6"). There was plenty of fin material left over to make the extra fin.

Other modifications: I moved the fins forward a bit so I can wrap tape around the bottom to retain the motor. I also installed an ejection baffle. I attached a kevlar shock cord to the baffle.
Nice "Baikingu"
Good thing about this kit is that there are so many ways to build it.

Back