Estes Ventris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Hello all .... New member here. Does anyone here fly the Estes Ventris.?? Its a discontinued model but I found one in a nearby hobby shop and bought it. The fins are a bit goofy but overall I like the model. We have dry conditions here so I've been in building mode. Lets see if I can post a picture....IMG_5900.JPG

The Ventris is what got me started in mid-power. It’s a great flyer. My son has an original we built together. I purchased a clone that I have yet to build. You got a keeper!

Dan

I have one I cloned but it hasn't flown yet. My payload area is a little longer than standard and is held together with plastic push pins.

Ventris Paint Complete.jpg

-Bob

The ventris was the first mid power rocket I flew too! The other interns and I didnt have a clue about field dimensions or simulating the flight so it's a miracle we even got Vertigo (I) back.

Vertigo II is my own and has electronic deployment
IMG_20170623_104845823_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20201220-100729_Chrome.jpg

A word:

It was not built for the 29mm blackpowder motors that estes currently produces. They may not have enough thrust to get it going fast enough for stable flight. It's heavier and needs composite motors by Aerotech or Cesaroni.

Openrocket (download link on a sticky in the electronics section of this forum) can help you simulate the fliggt to make sure you have enough rod exit speed, predict how high it'll go, and (importantly) edtimate how far it'll drift during descent)

The Ventris is what got me started in mid-power. It’s a great flyer. My son has an original we built together. I purchased a clone that I have yet to build. You got a keeper!

Dan
Oh wow.... That sounds great. Cool. Thanks for that post.

rklapp..... On mine the entire nose ejects and there is no space in it. Disclaimer here.....

I'm a beginner to mid-power rockets. And frankly my knowledge of 'parts' on a rocket is lacking. When you say payload I'm guessing its a section in which things can be loaded and unloaded after the flight. If I'm wrong here please educate me. Thanks.

nytrunner.... That is one crazy color scheme right there.!! Really cool. Thanks for your post. I have lots of questions being new to mid-power rockets so keep an eye out for any threads that I start. Thanks. I'll do my best to keep it interesting.

nytrunner.... That is one crazy color scheme right there.!! Really cool. Thanks for your post. I have lots of questions being new to mid-power rockets so keep an eye out for any threads that I start. Thanks. I'll do my best to keep it interesting.

Thanks!

Im willing to bet that 7 times out of 10, someone has asked your question before you. Use the search feature of the forum to check around for keywords. If the forum search isnt being helpful try a google search for "<your topic> site:rocketryforum.com" and you could get better results.

Additionally, check out Apogeerockets.com, they have a ton of useful articles about all levels of hobby rocketry. Here's a good one on the different types of motors that are available:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Motor-Basics-Quick-Start-Guide?pg=quickside
Also, check out nar.org or tripoli.org to locate a rocket club near you. If you can dial into a virtual club meeting or go to a club launch, you can ask questions live and learn/see a ton

I’ve got one in the build pile. Might start it soon. I have 6 rockets with primer on that need some love first. The Ventris is kinda like the Estes Reflector. I may go with the same paint scheme and decal set up.

2 great posts Mr. G. Just call that a corkscrew flight and all is well.!!

What would be a good motor for the Ventris's first flight.?? Anybody.??

Estes recommends the following composite motors: F26-6FJ, F50-6T, G40-7W and G80-7T. Anything in-between will work as well. It depends on how big a field you have, whether you want to see the whole flight and how far you want to walk for retrieval. The G80 will take it to 2,000 ft according to Estes. It's always safer to start with the smaller motors and work your way up.

The Ventris SRB first flight was with a black powder central Estes F15 with a D12 in each booster. It worked because the D12s burnt fast to get the initial speed off the rail. The F15 on its own would be too slow off the pad.
Ventris SRB2 copy.jpg

Thanks Mr.G. I have a 1500 foot field. No trees. No nothing. I was some happy when Richard gave me permission to fly.!! Wow.

Ya. The FlameThrower I have is a 2 motor cluster. 2 E30's gets the model to 1950ft. 2 F32's will get me to the moon.

2 great posts right there. Thanks for getting me excited to fly this thing.

Dan
Where did you purchase the clone???? I love this rocket!

The Ventris is great. It really scoots on a CTI H54. :) My son did his Junior HP Level 1 with his.

It's a great rocket. I highly recommend the Aerotech F67-6W for the Ventris. Perfect flights every time.

I usually fly my Ventris on 29/40-120 loads. It does about 1200 on its usual G76. For really small fields, I fly it on D12-0’s to about 50’. Works every time, deploys the chute just as it starts to arch and always stable

I usually fly my Ventris on 29/40-120 loads. It does about 1200 on its usual G76. For really small fields, I fly it on D12-0’s to about 50’. Works every time, deploys the chute just as it starts to arch and always stable
That sounds really cool. Thanks for your post.

Back