Estes Vapor (enhanced version) build thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW when I first looked at the picture in post #22 I really had to think for a moment whether that *was* the paint job... looks better and more interesting unpainted than a lot of rockets do when finished. :)

Interestingly I thought that was the final paint job too.

And I thought it looked great. 🥰

Thanks, i was really surprised with the quality of the testers laquer sparkle orange. I understand why its 8 bucks for a little can now. It just adds so much depth, very pleased with the outcome.

I have tried college ruled, printer and construction paper for past builds and they have all worked fairly well. Just wanted to try something different on this build. Overall id say that the computer or college ruled paper sticks better. I had an issue once or twice with the thicker construction paper not sticking that well but they all came out ok in the end. In order to pre-pregnate the paper, I would get a foam paintbrush and wet both sides of the paper with glue as well as the surface that I'm putting it on before I applied the sheet of paper. It helps get all of the bubbles out and it makes sure that it's completely attached with no air bubbles then i squeegee out all of the glue as quick as I can before it dries with a credit card. I applied the paper from one fin tip down past the filet onto another fin all the way to its fin tip AKA tip to tip.

I have tried college ruled, printer and construction paper for past builds and they have all worked fairly well. Just wanted to try something different on this build. Overall id say that the computer or college ruled paper sticks better. I had an issue once or twice with the thicker construction paper not sticking that well but they all came out ok in the end. In order to pre-pregnate the paper, I would get a foam paintbrush and wet both sides of the paper with glue as well as the surface that I'm putting it on before I applied the sheet of paper. It helps get all of the bubbles out and it makes sure that it's completely attached with no air bubbles then i squeegee out all of the glue as quick as I can before it dries with a credit card. I applied the paper from one fin tip down past the filet onto another fin all the way to its fin tip AKA tip to tip.
Pardon my dumb questions , I'm still learning. I've seen on some threads where they wrap the leading edge of the fin. But you are not wrapping the tips? Do you trim where the paper from both sides of the fin meet?

Yeh some people wrap the tip of the fin but i dont. I just cut the paper as close to the edge of the fin that i can and then after it dries, i sand the fins tips to get them nice a rounded again. At this point if there are any small pieces of paper that are popping up i will glue them down. Then after everything dries it gets a nice smooth lite 400 grit sanding and then on to the primer.

Pardon my dumb questions , I'm still learning. I've seen on some threads where they wrap the leading edge of the fin. But you are not wrapping the tips? Do you trim where the paper from both sides of the fin meet?
I don't wrap the tips on mine either; too much trouble, and doesn't work at all with complex shaped fins. One separate piece per side.

Those fishing swivels will open a lot easier than you think. I will never use one again.
That's a smallish freshwater swivel. I use 75 lb test salt water swivel - it's a lot stronger and will not open - never failed with 100+ lb fish.

Back