Estes Vapor 38mm MD on an I170

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achaskin

Reaction score
I attended my last local launch for my L2 written exam and didn’t realize I could conduct my cert flight the same day so…
I built this.
From a partial Estes Vapor kit and some spare tube and hardware, it’s designed around a CTI 6-grain case. It’s lazily and heavily glassed tip to tip and top to bottom for strength and weight (I was trying to achieve optimal mass for an unofficial altitude record but way overshot it due to hardware). I utilized all 8oz cloth with laminating epoxy, and JB weld for fillets.
Threaded rods in the fillets for motor retention, homemade baffle as a harness mount, and a simple av baby in the nose. The only electronic onboard, an Estes Altimeter and Astrocam, and a Com Spec RF beacon.
Launch was angled 10 degrees into a soft wind in anticipation of quick decent under an 18” chute on 15’ of tubular nylon. It’s maiden flight on a 3-grain I170 proved stable and withstood velocity of Mach 1 at an acceleration of 20+ G’s. The rocket only drifted about a mile in the minute or so it took to defend but for its 6-grain flight to 10,000ft, I’ve adapted the bay to hold a Quantum for hotwire chute release and a deployment charge. If I could change anything, I would’ve never fiberglassed that dang launch lug into the airframe. All a pretty cool experience for a bunch of parts lying around and a $50 motor.

Back