Estes V2 kit hack (nosecone = tailcone)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With Estes V2 kits going on fleabay for $60+, it occurred to me that it might be possible to build one for less.

Specifically, cutting the same #071035 NC-80K nose cone into a tail cone. A few bucks and some work. Probably not a perfect match, but probably not a lot further off than the kit is anyway. And there's little reason to pay for the rest of the kit if you're going to throw it all in the spare parts box and put a 29mm motor in it... and dual deploy with a 'chute cannon.

Obviously, I've seen the thread about cutting nose cones to make tailcones and transitions, but haven't drilled through the whole thing yet.

Just wondering if anyone else had done this specific V2 nose cone = tail cone mod yet?

With Estes V2 kits going on fleabay for $60+, it occurred to me that it might be possible to build one for less.

Specifically, cutting the same #071035 NC-80K nose cone into a tail cone. A few bucks and some work. Probably not a perfect match, but probably not a lot further off than the kit is anyway. And there's little reason to pay for the rest of the kit if you're going to throw it all in the spare parts box and put a 29mm motor in it... and dual deploy with a 'chute cannon.

Obviously, I've seen the thread about cutting nose cones to make tailcones and transitions, but haven't drilled through the whole thing yet.

Just wondering if anyone else had done this specific V2 nose cone = tail cone mod yet?

I haven't tried this yet but I am about to order a couple for a BT80 V2 custom build. Sure wish Estes still offered their kit!!

Yeppers, many years ago as a returning BAR.
Did not have the skill set yet to cut slots in plastic, so my clone has surface mount balsa fins epoxied to the plastic boat tail. If I were to do it today, it would be lite ply TTW fins.
My clone boat tail is longer than the Estes kit, I wanted the rear opening of the boat tail to act as the rear centering ring for the motor tube. The kit uses an aft centering ring. Also I epoxied a plastic motor retainer, the kit uses an engine hook.
It's had a couple of flights. Straight and stable.
Clone on the left, unpainted kit on the right.
0930221615[1].jpg
0930221616[1].jpg

If you haven't already seen it, Tim Van Milligan has an excellent video on converting a plastic nose cone into a boat tail or transition:

Good luck.

That definitely works. 29mm motor mount, two Estes 80 nose cones and a small section of 80 tube. Best of luck on your build!

24F08A36-94C7-4798-B25E-D5EA78305E2D.jpeg

Back