Estes V-2 Mods for use with F engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey there everyone. i just thought about it - my kevlar chute protector that i got from Giant Leap - as shown in one of my last attachments as an image. well, as you will see it basically burned and charred a hole through it the first time on an F21-4W. it was pretty much right up against the top of the MMT, protecting my entire recovery. it sure did a good job - no residue or burn marks anywhere above it!! but you think it's justified to ask for a replacement or at least my money back? being kevlar, i didn't expect it to burn through after ONE TIME! any recommendations as to good places to buy these? i heard Mr. Pratt talking about some kind of "meshed" extra strength, reinforced protectors...?

thanks. let me know!
>RSE

Kevlar will actually burn if you hold a flame to it..especially if the edge is frayed. I think the max temp is somewhere around 600 f ?... inserting a couple balls of wadding into the motor mount tube first may help out

Nomex is better than Kevlar for thermal protection.

Originally posted by RocketSmokEater
hey there everyone. i just thought about it - my kevlar chute protector that i got from Giant Leap - as shown in one of my last attachments as an image. well, as you will see it basically burned and charred a hole through it the first time on an F21-4W. it was pretty much right up against the top of the MMT, protecting my entire recovery. it sure did a good job - no residue or burn marks anywhere above it!! but you think it's justified to ask for a replacement or at least my money back? being kevlar, i didn't expect it to burn through after ONE TIME! any recommendations as to good places to buy these? i heard Mr. Pratt talking about some kind of "meshed" extra strength, reinforced protectors...?

thanks. let me know!
>RSE

I use the Giant Leap kevlar protectors on all my mid/hpr birds. Ive never had any burning just lots off BP residue. I do put them up towards the nose cone with the kevlar shock cord (also Giant Leap) under them. The unhemmed slot for the cord does tend to get ragged 'tho. I suppose I'll have to start checking somehow for burning on the cords even though some have going on a dozen flights on them with no problems yet.

Back