Estes V-2 as scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
I want to build a scale V-2 for entry in an NAR event. Since I have never seen such a competition, I have no idea of what I am getting into.

Is the Estes V-2 suitable as a starting point for a scale project, or is it too modified?

The Estes V-2 fail in scale for one important factor. The body tube!

The real V-2 did not have a straight section...it was all curve. It was a 3:1 ogive to the center...more or less...and a 3:1 ogive ending at the tail.

I guess you could "build up" the body tube to reflect the curve but it would be hard.

sandman

Are you going to enter scale or sportscale?

The reason I ask this is because the the requirements for accuracy are very different for the two.

Either one, I guess, since I am doing it for NARTREK Silver. I just thought that since I had found a rather unique paint scheme that had a relationship to my military service, it would be a fun choice.

And if the Estes V-2 is not a good starting point for a scale or sport scale model, what is?

Oh the Estes V-2 would work for "Sport Scale" Most judges (unless you get Peter Alway to judge) wouldn't even notice it.

I would go with the V-2 if it's for NARTREK silver. That would work fine!.

What size are you going to do?

sandman

And if the Estes V-2 is not a good starting point for a scale or sport scale model, what is? [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually the 1:3 ogive is made up of many smaller tapered flat panel sections but not necessary for a first Scale model attempt. For Nartrek the Estes V-2 would be just fine. Also Estes BlackBrant-II, Quest Nike-Smoke, I see 1/100th Little Joe-II's occasionally in the hobby shops, and sometimes the old Nike-apache kits.
I liked your answer when ask about which event your were entering Scale or Sport Scale.. I've alway approached Scale modeling as an art form, If your gonna spend the time and trouble researching the protortypes, design a scheme that will work for the model, built and detail the beast, it really should be Scale:D
Since you're new to the event, I'll offer this one piece of advice concerning Size, complexity and amount of detail. "Your smallest detail should be no smaller than your largest blemish". None of us build perfect models, we all have little unfortunate omissions, Oop's, dings, dents, nasty joints or other imperfections that bug us... just remember the models have to fly so some details are better not modeled at all rather than be broken off or damaged on landing. Scale / Sport Scale is an artform but remember it's a hobby for FUN "KISMIF" Keep it simple, Make it FUN:) Pick a prototype that you are interested in, You will likely build many different models of that subject. Boeing Bomarc is my favorite, I think I have a least 5 or 6 different models in just about every motor range from micro-maxx to BT-80 clustered, and still working on more...
Welcome to the fascinating world of Scale modeling:D:D and Good luck with your Nartrek sliver level.
Here's a pic of my treasured old 2.6" Estes V-2 semi-scale build Way back when and signed by both Vern Estes and G. Harry Stine, it wasn't a very good scale model my 6th but a fun build:D

sandman,

Are you sure about this? Peter Alway's Rockets of the World (3ed) shows what *really* looks like a straight section from sta 208.5" to sta 377.8". Picture evidence seems to verify a straight section. The nose cone ogive is 208.5:65 (3.2:1).

I've seen drawings of the A10 booster that were as you say all curve, but the V2 appears to have a straight section.

MetMan

Back