Estes Universal Astrocam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrielin

Reaction score
I'm prepping to use the Astrocam HD camera over Thanksgiving.

So far I've figured out the activation and even the downloading (!) to my hard drive.

Question: Do you have to load the video you just took to the hard drive after each flight? Or does it record a sequence of more than one? I guess I'm asking if it erases the previous one and, if so, then I'll need to have my laptop ready to download?

Right? Who out there has experience and any info/tips.

Thanks.

If it's like the regular one, it'll record videos to a new file every time you power it up and set it to record until you fill up the SD card. It won't overwrite.

That is my experience too. I have never even filled it all the way up in one launch because it has like an hour of storage. Unless you lose the rocket, you should be able to film multiple flights without plugging in.

Update: Got two successful fights on Thanksgiving.

The quality of the sound and especially, the video was amazing for such a little thing.

A Super Big Bertha with its slow takeoff was the first of the two---I love using the pause feature to capture events like parachute ejection with the burnt recovery wadding flying by and then the nose cone and parachute. At one point it brushes a tree limb on the way down---That was a close call!! F16-6 Estes engine.

The second was the Nike Smoke Pro Series II and it used an F composite engine giving it a faster acceleration, but still clear. You can even spot us on the ground, looking up as it hauls ass away.

Wish I could load the videos here, but it appears they are too big for this site.

Update: Got two successful fights on Thanksgiving.

The quality of the sound and especially, the video was amazing for such a little thing.

A Super Big Bertha with its slow takeoff was the first of the two---I love using the pause feature to capture events like parachute ejection with the burnt recovery wadding flying by and then the nose cone and parachute. At one point it brushes a tree limb on the way down---That was a close call!! F16-6 Estes engine.

The second was the Nike Smoke Pro Series II and it used an F composite engine giving it a faster acceleration, but still clear. You can even spot us on the ground, looking up as it hauls ass away.

Wish I could load the videos here, but it appears they are too big for this site.
I load mine on YouTube and post a link here.

Latest posts

Back