Estes Trajector on F15-8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice day out last Saturday, so we went to the local NAR launch. Got some nice footage of my Trajector on my favorite MPR engine; the Estes F15-8.

[video=youtube;aHIybHO6ZQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHIybHO6ZQk&index=1&list=PLATTzdsvVjzeMmxXeitTfg1VKkxiuZnoj[/video]

About 1000'. Launches on days with winds <5mph make it drift about 100'. Easy to recover. The 8 second delay also makes for a dramatic wait for the chute.

That's about what I figured from the video - think I'm going to invest in a Jolly Logic Chute Release or find a bigger launch area. My latest larger rockets seem to be building out in the 7-11 ounces range so a bigger motor is a necessity for a stable flight. Which goes higher, which drifts further...probably worth the money for the Chute Release to keep things out of the trees!

The 8 second delay also makes for a dramatic wait for the chute.

That was my first thought when I saw "Trajector" and "F15-8" in the thread title.....

<drift>That is a great motor for the Star Orbiter and actually is a good match (especially with a Chute Release aboard)</drift>

image.jpg

Bound to be a few more Trajectors taking flight soon, with the Estes sale. I ended up getting a couple of them and finished one up last week.

John Pursley lives locally here and I decided that after getting a great deal on the model, I would invest in one of his Phantom Trajector skins and wrap my Trajector instead of going with the stock color scheme. Painted the fins silver and the pods and engine retainer red, which seemed to go along well with the skin colors.

Had a great first flight on an F15-6.

Here is a picture of the Phantom Trajector after the first flight and of the launch. One of the pods was popped loose on the first landing and looks a bit off in this picture. Easy enough to fix.P

Attachments

• grayrocket.jpg
    grayrocket.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I enjoyed sprucing up the Trajector so much I picked up two more while they were on sale. Should be some fun kit bashing to be had. Thinking about ditching the molded and notched centering rings and converting one to a four fin configuration with two larger wing like fins and smaller dorsal and ventral vertical tails.

Visited John Pursley the other day and saw a prototype NASA themed white skin he has been working on for the Trajector. It was very, very nice. He has found a glossier white vinyl to print on. Arranged to get one of the first skins produced and will post the build (wrap, actually) when it is complete.

Latest posts

Back