Estes Titan IIIe clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I have talked with Boyce Aerospace about 3D printing all the plastic parts it takes to build a Estes Titan IIIe Rocket. They worked up the files and will print these at the following cost:
“I can print all the parts for the Titan IIIe on our FDM printers for $55.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I can also print all the parts on our DSLA Hi-Rez printer (50 um resolution) for $75.00 plus $10.00 shipping.”

Here is the original kits tube sizes and lengths for the Estes 2019 Titan IIIE based on John Brohm’s, tube ref. List.

BT-70 was 6.25” long: This is the Main upper Payload Bay

BT-60 was 13.313” long: This was the main lower Air Frame

BT-60’s was 10.375” long: Two of these serve as the main side boosters

BT-50’s was 4.00” long: Two were used for the fin tube holders in each of the BT60 side boosters.

BT-950’s was 6.25” long: the fins was mounted on these and they were pushed into the two side boosters for flight.
6.25”

BT-5’s was 3.75” Long: Two serve as the catalyst fuel tanks

BT-50 was 2.75” Long: Served as the motor mount tube.

I believe e rockets SEM-LT-085160 tube will sub out for the BT-950 fin pod tubes that slide into the BT 50s but this will have to be doubled Checked.

Just ordered mine today FDM printed.

Hope you friends like this idea? Sure beats eBay prices for this kit.IMG_0001.jpg

Pretty nifty. And I think it costs less than the parts I had Gordy turn for me.

I've been practicing printing a DynaSoar to go on top of my Titan III.

What Is DLP? DLP, or digital light processing, is a 3D printing technology that projects each layer, creating an illuminated plane where photopolymerization occurs. Unlike SLA, restricted to a single spot, the moment the light hits the resin, the whole layer is formed at once during DLP printing. A LCD screen creates a digital mask of each layer that functions as a stencil of the object that is being printed and allows LED ultraviolet light to pass thru and cure the resin.

Why DLP? Products printed using DLP are highly-detailed and require no sanding! Just primer, paint and you're done!

Copied from Boyce Aerospace site

What Is DLP? DLP, or digital light processing, is a 3D printing technology that projects each layer, creating an illuminated plane where photopolymerization occurs. Unlike SLA, restricted to a single spot, the moment the light hits the resin, the whole layer is formed at once during DLP printing. A LCD screen creates a digital mask of each layer that functions as a stencil of the object that is being printed and allows LED ultraviolet light to pass thru and cure the resin.

Why DLP? Products printed using DLP are highly-detailed and require no sanding! Just primer, paint and you're done!

IMG_0477.jpg

Are you saying that Boyce can print parts that require no sanding? In the past the parts that I ordered from Boyce required sanding.

I'm saying that is a direct quote from their site:)

Any idea what it might cost without the Centaur payload sections? I have wanted to do a IIIC (or IIIM) MOL stack for a long time but not have to sacrifice my sole Estes Titan IIIE. Still, even if it is only available one way, I can always save the Centaur section for a different build.

Very cool!

Any idea what it might cost without the Centaur payload sections? I have wanted to do a IIIC (or IIIM) MOL stack for a long time but not have to sacrifice my sole Estes Titan IIIE. Still, even if it is only available one way, I can always save the Centaur section for a different build.

Very cool!

No idea, just go to Boyce Aerospace Hobbies site, note contact email and check with Alex. I’m sure it will depend heavily on if there is already a worked up 3D file available or not.

Sounds very interesting. Hope it all works out for you, keep us posted.

I’m looking at making the side boosters operational and using clear fins on the main airframe for my Titan IIIe. Guess you can call it my Titan IIIe updated:)

This model beckons for the boosters to be operational to include parachutes or streamers.

I’m looking at the Apogee approach to strapping on the boosters. My plan is using two B6-0s on smaller fields.

Update, Stickershock23.com now has the decals sets for this Rocket in vinyl. It has been said that their decal sheets look a lot better than the original ones. The bronze really stands out. The Titan IIIe decals require two sheets, the cost is $30 + 8 shipping. I’ve got mine on order, just wanted to let everyone know since they aren’t on their website yet. If anyone wants them, just use the email contact info on their site.

Update, Stickershock23.com now has the decals sets for this Rocket in vinyl. It has been said that their decal sheets look a lot better than the original ones. The bronze really stands out. The Titan IIIe decals require two sheets, the cost is $30 + 8 shipping. I’ve got mine on order, just wanted to let everyone know since they aren’t on their website yet. If anyone wants them, just use the email contact info on their site.

Good to know. I built one not too long ago, and tried to use my 25+ year old decals. They were super brittle. It is also nice that Mark can scale up or down his decal sheets.

And now they're up:

https://stickershock23.com/product/titan-iiie/

I fondly remember turning the needed parts from wood to make one of these. It used the BT-60 Titan II clear fin unit (now molded in black and used for crayon rockets), each with one fin removed, that I twisted into the bases of the boosters. Then a year or two later, Estes released the Titan III E kit! I was half amused that I'd beaten them to the punch, and half disgusted that I could have built it so much more easily.

Very cool!
55395CDC-094E-4632-A4BF-8B11696822F6.jpegI would post a link to these scratch builds but can’t seem to figure out how to to that .

I would post a link to these scratch builds but can’t seem to figure out how to to that .

Open the build thread.

Right click the post# and then "copy link":
Hyperlink2.png

Navigate to the thread you want to post in, and in the reply box, click the hyperlink icon:
Hyperlink1.png

Paste the copied link into the "URL" field:

Hyperlink3.png

In the "Text" field, type the verbiage you want to represent the hyperlink.

I usually paste the link there, too. That way when someone sees the link, they don't have to question where it's taking them. For example, if you put "My Titan Build" in the text field, that verbiage would show up in blue indicating that it's a hyperlink. But a reader wouldn't know if they were going to be taken out of the forum and into your own website, or what. So I put the link in both the "URL" and "Text" fields so that a reader will know where they're going. like this:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-titan-iiie-clone.153893/post-2258699

Contact Boyce, they made the parts for mine and I also used most of the parts to make a titan III dyna-soar version as well, there is a slightly different Dyna-soar version for the Titan III versus suborbital Titan II. I'm sure Boyce can still do them, but I can't find them using the search function. Here is my build thread for a clear fin version of the Titan IIIE Centaur and the Titan III Dyna-soar

Hi, did anyone print these and make them available?

Open the build thread.

Right click the post# and then "copy link":
View attachment 511053

Navigate to the thread you want to post in, and in the reply box, click the hyperlink icon:
View attachment 511055

Paste the copied link into the "URL" field:

View attachment 511056

In the "Text" field, type the verbiage you want to represent the hyperlink.

I usually paste the link there, too. That way when someone sees the link, they don't have to question where it's taking them. For example, if you put "My Titan Build" in the text field, that verbiage would show up in blue indicating that it's a hyperlink. But a reader wouldn't know if they were going to be taken out of the forum and into your own website, or what. So I put the link in both the "URL" and "Text" fields so that a reader will know where they're going. like this:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-titan-iiie-clone.153893/post-2258699
Thanks for the info on how to do this TSmith. Will give it a try when I land in Hobart this evening.
Al

Very cool!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/titan-iii-c-build-scale-1-54.167578/post-2163824 This is the link to a Scratch built Titan III C build using cardstock nose cones nozzles and BT 70 tubes.

this is great work - I am combining this with a cardstock X-20 that will glide return...IMG_3519.jpegIMG_3520.jpeg

Last edited:
Back