Estes Supernova Build (2 Stage)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
This is my first two stage kit that I've done in years.

Obviously, it started out with the usual inventory and everything was there.
I was kind of surprised to see the bottom of the payload bay was a piece of balsa rather than plastic.
After reading through the directions quickly, I knew I was going to make some slight alterations.
IMG_0206.jpg

The instructions said to tape around the base of the payload bay to get a very snug fit and to do the same with the nose cone.
I ended up using 30 minute slow cure epoxy. I really didn't like the idea that the part that would return the bottom half of my rocket was friction fit only and nothing else.
IMG_0211.jpg

Just a side view of how I epoxied the balsa coupler into the payload bay.
I ended up backing it out a little bit more before it cured.
There isn't much you can fit in this little guy.
I figured that I would fly some of the fireball hard candies and give them to some of the younger kids after they made it back.
It also turns out that it fits the JL Altimeter 1 just fine, and the Altimeter 3, but just barely. The Altimeter 3 is it's max capability in width.
IMG_0212.jpg

I used a fishing snap swivel rated to 80 pounds and attached the kit parachute (10 inch corner to corner) to the swivel end.
It turned out really well actually and doesn't get in the way.
I could have gone a bit smaller but it's what I have on hand.
IMG_0215.jpg

I rounded the fins a bit on both the booster and the sustainer.
IMG_0216.jpg

End result (minus the paint... still trying to decide on colors.) This is by far one of the neatest jobs I've ever done.
I just used to throw the kits together as a kid and fly them without a second thought.
Now days, as a 24 year old kid, this is my escape and down time from a very busy work and family life.
Although the older of the two kiddos loves "helping" me put them together. Still... It's great to have new blood in the hobby.
IMG_0217.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 109
I'm a bad payload flyer.
I really need to use the bay on my magician.....At least for a little Estes altimeter.

Are you leaving the nose with a tight friction fit to.access the goodies?

And of course, what will it be painted!?

Yes.

I just ran a few layers of scotch tape around the base of the nose cone for a friction fit.
Works like a charm. Even with the vent holes for the altimeter it stays on nice and snug.

You say you're a bad payload flyer... I'm bad a deciding what colors to paint my rockets! :D

Back in 1989, I painted mine fluorescent orange and white. I fit as many bugs as I could, launched in a parking lot and came down ballistic after the 2nd stage didn't light. Bug goo everywhere.

I built the re-issue this year and it flies really well. Comes down fast though on the tiny chute.

Hey whaddya know, I found an old pic of the taped-up remains if my first Super Nova. Summer of '89..

Last edited:
I was wondering how fast it would cone down with a chute that small.
I decided that I'd stick it out for now unless I really didn't like how fast recovery is.
Problem is that much bigger than the stock chute, you're recovering it the next state over!

I've got a sim of it over in my .ork files thread... You could try changing the chute on it and checking what would work for you (or not). Since it's pretty much a 3FNC (without decals on the fins or an engine hook) that has a booster attached to it, it should work well for you (provided you update your weights and CG info).

28436331290_a84df04f9c_o.png

I don't care for the up-swept fins on the Booster.
From what I have been reading on fins lately, these are the worst aerodynamically possible.
I the Nova's, but if I get one I will be reversing the fins on the Booster to match the sustainer.

From what I have been reading on fins lately, these are the worst aerodynamically possible.
I the Nova's, but if I get one I will be reversing the fins on the Booster to match the sustainer.

I'd build it stock if I were you (then flip the booster over, that's really all it'll take to do). :wink:

I'd build it stock if I were you (then flip the booster over, that's really all it'll take to do). :wink:

Really, it'd be harder to sim in in OR than to make that modification in life.

Estes Supernova Payloader (2011)(Decaled, Reversed Booster).jpg

Attachments

• Estes Supernova Payloader (2011) (Decaled, Reversed Booster).ork
    9.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I would be concerned that the booster might be stable and come in ballistic if you reverse the fins.
Rex

I would be concerned that the booster might be stable and come in ballistic if you reverse the fins.
Rex

I think it wouldn't matter... I think it'll come in ballistic in either direction (but more likely to damage the booster's body tube with the fins in the non-stock config (the motor won't be taking the hit and acting as a buffer)).

Back