Estes Streak

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
My next build before turning onto the next page is the Estes Streak.
DSC_0002.jpg

I was surprised the adhesive body wrap still had a lot of stick to it. I am going to paint it and decor like the 1979 catalog, even though the face card decor would be easier.
DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

A C6-7 as a recommended engine!! Another case of 'you shouldn't do it just because it's possible'.

Anything Larger Then A 1/2 A6 and you are likely to lose it im not kiddin, iv even had thoughts on putting a MMX motor in:D

The streaks a great looking rocket, although i am surprised you built it and did not just clone it, still that's why i have boxes with rocket kits that will never see the sky.
Will be interested to see how the plastic tube holds up to ejection charge and general heat issues. Given that it's a more stream lined mosquito type rocket I would be tempted to use a 13mm to 18mm adapter and have a few flights on 1/4 and 1/2 A motors, before losing it on an A/B/C.

If I cloned it, why would I buy it? Nothing beats opening an original kit and building it to see it on display. I figure, I only live once, so I am going to build the original once.

If I cloned it, why would I buy it? Nothing beats opening an original kit and building it to see it on display. I figure, I only live once, so I am going to build the original once.

you might open it, to copy the decals etc and then keep the original and fly the clone, especially if you were to lose the original. kind of like having the rolls royce in the garage for the sunny weekend, but driving to work in the ford.
i guess its a personality type thing.

Will be interested to see how the plastic tube holds up to ejection charge and general heat issues.
Keep in mind that a true, factory Streak used a mylar tube - not plastic - so it can take the ejection charge heat...at least for a few flights until you lose it :D

Doug

The streaks a great looking rocket, although i am surprised you built it and did not just clone it, still that's why i have boxes with rocket kits that will never see the sky.
Will be interested to see how the plastic tube holds up to ejection charge and general heat issues. Given that it's a more stream lined mosquito type rocket I would be tempted to use a 13mm to 18mm adapter and have a few flights on 1/4 and 1/2 A motors, before losing it on an A/B/C.
Gillard, I had a Streak back in the late '60s and flew it several times with 1/2 A6-4s(IIRC). I seem to recall the plastic tube holding up well; the engine was ejected rather rapidly and heat was not able to build up.

you might open it, to copy the decals etc and then keep the original and fly the clone, (snip) i guess its a personality type thing.
It's shades of gray. At one end, some of us are very much into authenticity. Across the scale a bit, some want the kit to have and a clone to fly, while still others of us forego the original altogether and just build a clone. And in some cases <blasphemy warning> we substitue a paper tube for the mylar, then paint over it :D Doug .
sss4-2.jpg

Gillard, I had a Streak back in the late '60s and flew it several times with 1/2 A6-4s(IIRC). I seem to recall the plastic tube holding up well; the engine was ejected rather rapidly and heat was not able to build up.
Those were mylar. FWIW, I've built two rockets with plastic payload sections - using the Estes payload parts kits - and in both cases had the payload sections vented to the airframe - there was no block in the coupler joining the tubes. And with each rocket, it only took 1 or 2 ejection events before there was a noticeable curvature to the payload tube :)

Frankly, given the distance from the forward end of the motor to the payload tube, and how fast a deployment event occurs, I wasn't expecting heat to be an issue. I know better now :)

Doug

I have this little guy all painted and will apply the black tape tomorrow to finish her off. I brushed on 3 coats of balsa sealer on the nose and fins, 2 coats of primer and 1 coat each of flat and glossy white.

The Streak was the first rocket I built, the first one I launched, and the first one I lost.

I found it about a year later.

I painted mine gray and white.

Are you sure you want to try this?

Amen, brother.

I am really enjoying seeing your classics here and on YORF.

Really nice finish.
is it too nice to fly, or will it see the sky?

All my birds fly when I get a chance to make it to the field.

Back