"Estes-Stores" — beware!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got this email today. Went to estes-stores dot com, and it looks very valid with very good prices. I chuckled when I saw "Helicopters" on their top menu, which when you click on it takes you to "Estes 1/2A3-4T Engine Educator PkHAZ (24) for Motors" which when I checked last, I don't ever remember any model/hobby helicopters that use mini model rocket engines. Also, here is what their "about us" states - this is also hilarious:

"...Estes Online Shop.’s purpose is to inspire and educate its community through fashion, design, art and music."

I can see the "design" part, and maybe even the "art" part, but what does fashion and music have to do with model rocketry??

I can see the "design" part, and maybe even the "art" part, but what does fashion and music have to do with model rocketry??
Fashion:
Who has the coolest shirt?
Who has the best brand shirt?
Who has the most practical shirt?!
Something other than jeans? Or jean shorts? Or cargo shorts? (I do wear a kilt to some launches! :D )

Music:
There is always that one song at a launch.. Whether being played, or just in your head.. Bowie.. Elton John..
There is that song, that album you play to / from launches.. that sets / closes off the day.. (or that jingle that is now stuck in your head from the quick-e-mart when you stopped for field supplies (or breakfast..))

see they fit..

"the fashionable rocketeer"

formula54-blue.jpg

Estes Industries has sent out a message stating that there is an online retailer using the Estes name and logo under the guise of "Estes-Stores" but is not affiliated with the Estes we all know and love and is in fact a company operating out of China.

Scamadvisor.com has this to say:

574DF5AF-A2E3-4221-BC38-30EBCFD229C7.jpeg

28B1F0B5-D5A3-4E58-803A-71BFD5F82A57.jpeg

I got the email as well….and the grammatical errors in the (apparently) real one from Estes gave me pause as well. Whoever is writing this stuff for Estes marketing, as well as who is approving it, needs to pay better attention.

There were, at one time, small quadcopters with the Estes brand. But not since the Hobbico purchase, never mind the current ownership.

I got the email as well….and the grammatical errors in the (apparently) real one from Estes gave me pause as well. Whoever is writing this stuff for Estes marketing, as well as who is approving it, needs to pay better attention.

There were, at one time, small quadcopters with the Estes brand. But not since the Hobbico purchase, never mind the current ownership.
Now that I'm looking at the link address, it does look quite fishy, like it was sent from a domain that only contains the name "estes" but is not on their network/domain. I've forwarded my copy to service@estesrockets dot com asking if this is a legit "warning" and if estes-store is actually a scam or if it's legit. Mine also came from "marketing@estesrockets" dot com.

Last edited:

The questionable writing in the legitimate Estes message seems to have caused confusion in a lot of places.

computer sees GIF

Kind of funny that estes-store dot com was already taken (for a legitimate use). So the scammer had to register estes-stores dot com.

Short of expensive, legal action, Estes can file a DCMA notice for the pages which will remove them from search engines fairly quickly. They might also try to dispute the domain name registration with ICANN which would take a while and isn't guaranteed to succeed.

Back