Estes STM-012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Kirksey

Reaction score
Recently I picked up an Estes STM-012 kit here on the forums. It was packed tight, new in the wrap. So tight in fact, that when you open the wrap, both body tubes were dented. You would not know this looking at the wrapped package before opening. I have heard this complaint mentioned before. I decided to build the kit anyway to the best of my current abilities.

Dealing with the dented body tubes I decided to try and rub them out from the inside/ out with a 3/8 wooden dowel. It seemed to help quite a bit, not perfect, but improved. The last picture here is the crushed motor mount. I also did my best to reform the edges and used it anyway. It would be deep into the rocket and should have no bearing on the motor fit.

IMG_1852.jpg IMG_1859.jpg IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1856.jpg

I decided to not use the engine hook and added a Estes 24mm plastic retainer to the rear. Epoxy was used and i scoared the plastic well for the epoxy to grab.
IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1906.jpg
I used my typical fin alignment jigs I make at work for a smooth assembly and accurate fin alignment which I believe will encourage true flight. You can also see the red body coupler, which was nice and tight to aid in connecting the 2 body tubes together.
IMG_1908.jpg

I painted the rocket this weekend with several gray rattle cans and a coat of satin clear. The photo is a little misleading. It make the fins look a little more blue than normal. This was the first time I painted a rocket nose cone 2 colors. It came out pretty nice with no bleed through. Thank you forums for older threads that explained this painting/ masking, method.
IMG_1916.jpg

I really would like to find some decals to add to make this rocket pop. AMRAMM style. Possibly a serial number, lift here markings, or color bands to help finish the rocket. Does anyone know where I might find some of these? I even looked for automotive pinstriping for the color bands. That option was not a cheap one.
Thanks for looking.

That's a great kit! We launch ours all the time at SARG, flies right to the waiver (1500') on the E18-7W. Did you ever find a 29mm motor mount tube for the Ventris?

Back