Estes - Starship Vega Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
Estes made an attempt to get model rocketry into mass-market retailers in the early 1970s with their Citation line of products. These were five kits, a starter set and motors. All products were sold in boxes. I believe I saw them in a Woolworths store in the early 1970s.

This is an original 1974 vintage Citation Series Starship Vega I bought at the time but I didn't built it until 1985. Later versions of the Starship Vega were packaged in bags with some modifications and sold through hobby shops. From 1990-1993, Estes sold an upscale version of this design as the Super Vega.

Estes Citation Starship Vega.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny I've never owned the standard 18mm Starship Vega. I have a Super Starship Vega and a Micro Starship Vega but the standard is still in the original package hanging on the wall.

245a1_Starship VEGA_11-27-01.jpg

061-sm_Super Starship VEGA_04-13-90.jpg

061-b1b-sm_Super Vega at midflight_04-14-90.jpg

I do have a cardstock downscale for 13mm motors. The fins are 3 ply and if I had to do over I would add a couple extra thicknesses. I can see them flutter during flight but I haven't had one rip yet.

For that reason, I only fly it on 1/2A3-4T's. No A10-3T's for this model.

Vega_1.jpg

Last edited:
Cloned with an Estes Wildfire(?) cone - I think that was the kit name. Same one in the SkyWriter. Decals from Excelsior. I used chrome TrimMonokote for the silver wrap and had Excelsior print the black stripes, which I applied over the chrome. This was back in the Phred days. Now you can get the chrome wrap from Excelsior. One of my favorite Estes designs.

Drew

standing.JPG

Built from scratch parts with decals from Mark at Stickershock. Flown twice on E9-4's using a 30 inch chute to try to avoid damage on the landing...

Vega3.jpg

Vega4.jpg

Vegapad2.jpg

Just finished my Semroc Starship Vega(on the right). My Estes Starship Vega which I built in the 70s was rebuilt/refurbished in 2007. I probably won't fly the Estes one again, but can't wait to fly the new one.
Larry

Starship Vega 001.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Starship Vega (KC-4 or #0653) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Starship Vega (KC-4 or #0653) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Starship Vega: KC-4 or #0653
Estes: Starship Vega: #1320
Estes: Super Vega: #2036
MMWW: Micro Maxx Starship Vega: #268
Semroc: Starship Vega: KV-78

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Starship Vega (KC-4 or #0653) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Starship Vega Also known as: Vega, Citation Vega

NUMBER: KC-4 or #0653

Introduced: 1971
Final Year: 1974
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19.5"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 1.88 oz

Mfg. Description: A look into tomorrow... deep space, interplanetary exploration vehicle. Great sport flying performance. Futuristic landing legs on rear fins. Complete with 3-color decal sheet, die cut fins and bright foil body wrap-on. Parachute (12") recovery system. (Estes 1971 Citation Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-starship%20vega%20kc4-1971%20citation%20livery.jpg
1971 Citation
estes-starship%20vega%20kc4-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg

Face Card(s)

estes-starship%20vega%20kc4-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-starship%20vega%20kc4-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Starship Vega (#1320) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Starship Vega Also known as: Vega

NUMBER: #1320

Introduced: 1979
Final Year: 1983
Designer: Bruce Paton

Length: 19.5"
Span:
Weight: 1.88 oz

Mfg. Description: Exotic planetary exploration vehicle featuring simulated landing shocks. Futuristically designed with realistic two color decals, die cut balsa fins, and quick release engine mount. A great performer with impressive lift-off and beautiful recovery via 12" chute. Science fiction styling gives this bird a real spaceship look. (Estes 1979 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-starship%20vega%201320-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
estes-starship%20vega%201320-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
estes-starship%20vega%201320-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
estes-starship%20vega%201320-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg

Face Card(s)

estes-starship%20vega%201320-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-starship%20vega%201320-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Super Vega (#2036) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Super Vega Also known as:

NUMBER: #2036

Introduced: 1990
Final Year: 1993
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 28"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 5.4 oz

Mfg. Description: Slow, thrilling lift-offs to heights beyond 250 feet make this large, exotic rocket one of your favorites. A 3/16 inch diameter Maxi launch rod is required for launch. (Estes 1990 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-super%20vega%202036-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
estes-super%20vega%202036-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-super%20vega%202036-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Starship Vega (#268) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works

MODEL NAME: Micro Maxx Starship Vega Also known as:

NUMBER: #268

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Wayne Kellner, John McCoy

Type: Exotic, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 5.875"
Diameter: 0.281"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20starship%20vega%20268-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-(estes)%20starship%20vega%20268-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc Starship Vega (KV-78) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Starship Vega Also known as:

NUMBER: KV-78

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Exotic, Clone
Length: 20.4"
Span: 9.0"
Weight: 1.3 oz

Mfg. Description: 1971 Retro Repro

Advertising Liveries

semroc-starship%20vega%20kv78-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-starship%20vega%20kv78-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-starship%20vega%20kv78-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
SteveA

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Rocket-joe-sheridan03-Image22.jpgsheridan03-Image33.jpgvega-aftermath-sheridan03-Image5.jpgvega-liftoff-sheridan03-Image1.jpg

My Estes Super Vega. I had many, many flights on this model, and it survived a forward-closure CATO of an Estes D that ripped out the engine mount and shock cord. The sad, last photo shows it after an improper deployment (the ejection charge seems to have blown past the nylon chute that was installed). Really a great kit.

did it stick the landing?
No, it came in kinda hot, swinging from side to side. One of the guys on the flightline caught it, but not before one of the big feet hit. Broke the leg off, but it should be easily fixable.

Sadly, the Starship Vega is what got me out of rocketry in 1972. Recovering from an appendectomy and subsequent massive infection**, parents bought me the kit to keep me occupied. I spent SO long in bed, building it just so. Even painted it and applied decals, which wasn't a common occurrence for me. Launched it on a C6 motor. One of the new ones with a clay cap instead of paper retainer. Up...and down, lawn dart. I screamed, and quit rocketry. Until 1994.

Best -- Terry
**You do NOT want to watch as a surgeon plunges a pair of sharp scissors into the incision he made a week ago, and presses a cup of pus out of the abdomen. Scissors didn't hurt, actually. It was pressing around the incision that made me scream. Another week in hospital, and I was the center attraction for the nurses when they pumped peroxide into the hole. The subsequent fountain when they removed the syringe tip was clearly new and exciting...

I guess I get jaded being in medicine. I had more of a visceral reaction to the Vega augering in than the pus pockets
If you had the nickname "Pus Pockets" in school, you were doing something wrong. It would make a great name for a punk band.

This is the Semroc version. One of my favorite rocket pics. My niece launching it (w her phone in her pocket!) Flew good. I do not remember a leg coming off? Used the stock 12 inch chute.

1657471384358.png

Back