Estes Starblazer X-20 "M"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
So I'm working in "the Lab" cooking up another upscale. So it occurs to me - Have I ever seen an upscaled Starblazer X-20? Well, no....

So here it is. The "M" in the title is a little tounge-in-cheek for "Maxi."

It's based on a BT80 for the upper 2/3 (approx) with a T-2.042 for the lower 1/3 (approx.)

The paint is Duplicolor Truck and SUV Light Blue Metallic spray lacquer. The white and yellow at the top are Krylon spray enamels.

The decals are Tango Papa cut vinyl - very, very nice!

The Canopy is reinforced cardstock.

The engine mount is a 2 x 24mm E engine cluster (what else? ;) )

Here's the business end.

It turned out very nice - the vinyl decals really pop out and show bright against the (relatively) darker background. A couple of them were quite large, and would have been VERY difficult to work with as waterslides.

Here's a pic of the new addition with the rest of the (still growing) upscaled starcruiser family.

Originally posted by brianc
VERY cool!

How do you like the Duplicolor paints?

They worked great!! Just remember to use a lacquer based primer under the lacquer paint. I found a white, sandable, lacquer primer (also made by duplicolor) that was super fast drying and sanded very nicely. I was a bit pricey though (about $7 for an 11 oz can.)

That is very cool! I really like the choice of paint on that!

Estes must have named at least 3 different models Starblazer so I didn't know which one it was until I saw the picture.

WOW Simon...I love it!

That one's been on my "upscale wish list" for a while. You beat me to it. You're getting a fine collection of Maxi-Clones. I've been debating on whether to try the vinyl decals for my Interceptor upscale....sound like they work pretty good. (They look great)

Great Job,
John

Very nice Simon. You really do nice work. Have you ever thought of going to 29mm in any of your upscales? Those motors are getting easier to get and you don't need certification to fly them.(you know up to "G" anyway). With the heavier kits your making, they would be perfect.

Simon,

As usual, this is an excellent piece of work!! I would LOVE to see launch picture with those two motors burning!!

Phred

Originally posted by kelltym88
Very nice Simon. You really do nice work. Have you ever thought of going to 29mm in any of your upscales? Those motors are getting easier to get and you don't need certification to fly them.(you know up to "G" anyway). With the heavier kits your making, they would be perfect.

This one is suprisingly light - about 8 or 9 oz empty. I've considered going 29mm, but then I'd have to "beef them up" even further.

I have another one in the works, but I'm still working on parts acquisition (I was able to build the Starblazer with spare parts I had on hand, if you can believe it.) This next one will be a BP cluster as well.

Originally posted by OKTurbo
WOW Simon...I love it!

That one's been on my "upscale wish list" for a while. You beat me to it. You're getting a fine collection of Maxi-Clones. I've been debating on whether to try the vinyl decals for my Interceptor upscale....sound like they work pretty good. (They look great)

Great Job,
John

Thanks! I was pleasantly suprised with the vinyl decals - they were certainly a new thing for me. I had to re-read the review of them in a past issue of Sport Rocketry to convince myself before trying them. They take longer to apply, but with a bit of patience they work just great. And they're *very* "tough" too. They cost a bit more (like, "hold on to your wallet" more for an upscaled Interceptor I'd bet) but they sure make the intended colors show strong and crisp against whatever background you apply them over.

Simon,

I would guess that vinyl decals would just be better for large, broad patterns such as on this model, while more detailed, or 'busy' designs would do better with traditional waterslide decals. Are the vinyl decals limited to 8.5x11" like waterslide pages are?

I also am of a like mind when it comes to building. I have a handful of BT-70, and BT-80 upscales, and find that I can still build a relatively light airframe if I stay with 24mm, whether it be an F21, or a cluster of D/E BP motors.

Phred

The cut vinyl decals are all cut individually, with no "backing material" that stays on the model. For instance, the "X-20" emblem in the white area at the front of the rocket is actually four individual pieces of black vinyl (the "X", the "-", the "2", and the "0") with no clear material connecting them together. When the arrive for application, the decals or on a backing sheet, with a covering sheet (that is somewhat "see-through" like tracing paper covering the tops of the decals. What you do is cut out the decal to be applied - in the "x-20" emblem example it's actually four decals that are arranged correctly - and remove the backing paper from the adhesive side of the vinyl. The top sheet remains in place to hold them in the correct arrangement. Then you wet the area to be applied with a squirt bottle filled with tap water and a bit of liquid dish soap. Apply the decal to the wet area (the water/soap mixture allowing you to slide it into the correct position) and then rub out the water and air bubbles. Let set awhile for the backing adhesive to grab to the model, and then carefully remove the top cover.

I got two sheets that were approximately 12" x 24" in size. This could have been reduced, because there was plenty of empty space on the sheets. I suspect that the decals could be of very substantial size, not limited by pre-made decal page sizes. Well, I'm sure there's some limitation, but I don't know what that size is.

This one finally got off the ground yesterday at the St. Louis Aeromodelling Extravaganza.

Here she is on the pad:

What a great flying rocket! Simply an awesome flight to about 1000', maybe more.

Problem with the flight was that after a nice deployment and descent under a 36" nylon army surplus chute, it landed at the top of a ROCKET EATING TREE!!

So, it was Bowhunter to the rescue!! He borrowed a 40' telescoping fiberglass pole from another club member, and we were able to retreive the rocket without *too* much trouble.

Only minor damage from the experience: two of those "skid plates" on the ends of the main fins came off. But they were recovered and will be easily put back on.

Other than the location of the landing, a truly great flight. I love this bird!

AWESOME!

Great looking rocket Fore Check. I'm glad you got her back....even if it's with a few battle scars.

It was a awesome flight and a sweeet lookin rocket but for some reason that row of trees is always hungy

Sweet bird, ForeCheck!

I've always been of the opinion that spaceship/fighter-design rockets look better with "battle scars". It gives 'em character.

Later,
EV

Hi Forecheck,
I will add my voice to the chorus. those are great rockets.
Cheers
Fred

Back