Estes Star Orbiter ps2 Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsten

Reaction score
Hi! So i recently built and finished my first model rocket kit in a long time, so im getting back into the hobby. Anyways, the ps2 star orbiter recommended engines are E-16-6, and F-15-8. I know these are 29mm engines, so my question is what other motors could i use as well? Would a G motor even be ok, and could i use pretty much any aertoech F motor without an issue as long as its 29mm? Thanks for the help!

I built an adapter and launched my Tomahawk with a D12-5 motor and I was pretty happy with my 400-500 foot flight. My Tomahawk is a kit bashed Star Orbiter. A little shorter and four fins instead of three.

I also saw a Star Orbiter launched the same day with an Estes E motor and I was surprised how high that flew. The sound was awesome!

-Bob

Hi! So i recently built and finished my first model rocket kit in a long time, so im getting back into the hobby. Anyways, the ps2 star orbiter recommended engines are E-16-6, and F-15-8. I know these are 29mm engines, so my question is what other motors could i use as well? Would a G motor even be ok, and could i use pretty much any aertoech F motor without an issue as long as its 29mm? Thanks for the help!
It is lightweight construction.

Too much thrust and the tube can buckle. Like a G80.

Almost too much thrust, but for a long time (long burning medium thrust motor like a G40 or G53 or even a G64) and the airspeed will become so high that the tube may buckle.

F25 should be fine.

BUT, the Estes BP F15 is so perfect, why bother with other motors?

Flew mine on a 24mm black powder E with adapter. Est. 1200 ft., almost went out of the park. Fly on a large field if using anything bigger. Nice, straight flyer.

...used a D12-3 with an adaptor, long rod, little or no wind. Beautiful straight flight, no roll whatsoever. Modified for a mid-body separation because I was afraid of body tube crimping upon landing. Terrific rocket.

I have successfully sent mine up several times on an AT G54 which is really pushing it with balsa fins. It is setup with dual deploy which added about 2oz. extra weight.

Flown my Star Orbiter many times on 24mm Es and Fs with the Estes 24/29 adapter - flies great! As stated above, an Estes 24mm E really gets the SO up there.

My Star orbiter has had a long happy relationship with these. To echo others, keep the thrust low; to go much above an F you'd have to reinforce the airframe. And plus who doesn't like flights to ~1500 ft on motors that cost you ~$7 each?
I have one that I fly on the AT economax G76 motors... first flight on this motor shredded the balsa fins. Replaced with 1/8" basswood fins and have flown multiple G76 without issue ... other than trying to keep an eye on it - it more or less teleports off the pad!

Other than the basswood fins it is essentially stock built with Titebond II.

I've also adapted down to AT 24/60 reloads which are great in this.

At $14 at Hobby Lobby with the coupon it's hard to beat!

I'd love to reinforce the fins and fly it on an F67. Hopefully papering them would be sufficient.

Example with CTI G57:

Love that you used the face card paint scheme! And is that the original Estes PSII nylon chute? Great looking flight - I have a 40% off coupon on my phone ready for Hobby Lobby, can’t beat another Star Orbiter for $15!

Has anyone had tube buckling with the Star Orbiter? I've only read of fin issues (thus the 1/32 basswood sheet In store for when I break it out to build)
Fairly certain I did. Launched one with an I205, pretty much stock build with the exception of basswood fins. Cannot say for certain what failure mode but I did recover the tracker/altimeter/nc. Was a beautiful flight, just reigned down in pieces. I'll try to find pics/data..

Fairly certain I did. Launched one with an I205, pretty much stock build with the exception of basswood fins. Cannot say for certain what failure mode but I did recover the tracker/altimeter/nc. Was a beautiful flight, just reigned down in pieces. I'll try to find pics/data..

Fair point, that I can believe with the I205. I just didn't quite think a G80 would be enough to buckle it as Shredvector Fred suggested above.

You would probably do fine on a G80. I have one that I plan to do the same..

G40-10W also works. mine is stock, but I did use titebond M and T and make big fillets.

flew my star orbiter on a g64-7 ( added 3mm 3d printed abs fing with 3mm fillets), then added 3sec of additional sec of delay to make it 11sec delay hit 2915 feet pulled 16g 455 mph landed 1000 feet from the pad... blew my mind, single deploy on a apogee 15" nylon chute...so it came down quick. jolly logic still said i was .05 sec early on the delay

flew my star orbiter on a g64-7 ( added 3mm 3d printed abs fing with 3mm fillets), then added 3sec of additional sec of delay to make it 11sec delay hit 2915 feet pulled 16g 455 mph landed 1000 feet from the pad... blew my mind, single deploy on a apogee 15" nylon chute...so it came down quick. jolly logic still said i was .05 sec early on the delay
Screenshot_20190216-145016.jpg Screenshot_20190216-145031.jpg

That summary screen says it was almost a second early....but that’s impressive - very impressive. The data also say that you only got an actual 8.15s delay not the 11 you were shooting for. It would be interesting to look at the acceleration graph to gain a little more insight in what was really going on there.

I think I’ve simmed the Star Orbiter on the H53 Mellow....the long burn pushes it very close to Mach 1. Not sure I’d want to try that....but it would be cool to watch!

Attached is quick and dirty Smart Launch data.

Heck, the 3-grain G33 Mellow would give one quite the ride as well. Now THAT is an excuse to finish my Eggfinder!

Attachments

• 31724831-75E2-4F9D-84B0-818396D76B62.png
    31724831-75E2-4F9D-84B0-818396D76B62.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 6D57EF1F-3E04-4E96-B1BA-E94BB793CA49.jpeg
    6D57EF1F-3E04-4E96-B1BA-E94BB793CA49.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back