Estes SR-71

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only two light on your SR 71 3 motor cluster the lack of thrust is a good thing because the crash site will not be so far away. Asymmetric thrust on that SR 71 bad boy is the real problem. A mini rail is just super cool! Gotta get that nose cone snuggness just right - like baby bear. Balanced between drag sepertion tight and single motor eject loose. Good chute packing technique a must. Cluster electrical connection primadonna a must.
I see more than ten excellent reasons above NOT to cluster yer SR71.
List a good reason to cluster it...
Um....uhh..
Huh huh...
Um.....
Hey. BEVIS want to blow something Up! That would be cool. :)
Concur with Daddyisbar......it is a great kit.."now consider classic " because it is OOP.,....why risk, all 3 not lighting.....crash...."blow out the side pods....all for effect.... It flys GREAT on the C6-3/5.

Concur with Daddyisbar......it is a great kit.."now consider classic " because it is OOP.,....why risk, all 3 not lighting.....crash...."blow out the side pods....all for effect.... It flys GREAT on the C6-3/5.
Yeah, but if you have two in the build pile and you are bored at home...No. I will not be tempted. Seeing it go up on three, the flames, the smoke, the photo opportunities! Putting on Soviet decals and claiming they had a copy to annoy the slide rule toting cold warriors at the launch. No. Not worth it. Do not be lured in by the Dark Arts. Keep on the oddroc rehab program and do not fall off the wagon. Don't give the RSO reason to look in your trunk...Oops! There might just be a motored up 3 cluster SR71 in there! It must be left over from years ago. Friends must be planting oddrocs in there again. Why 3 Cs when one of those new Qiest D16s will do fine. Did I hear someone say 3 D16s? Yes! Dr. Evil is over there, go get him! :)

Yeah, but if you have two in the build pile and you are bored at home...No. I will not be tempted. Seeing it go up on three, the flames, the smoke, the photo opportunities! Putting on Soviet decals and claiming they had a copy to annoy the slide rule toting cold warriors at the launch. No. Not worth it. Do not be lured in by the Dark Arts. Keep on the oddroc rehab program and do not fall off the wagon. Don't give the RSO reason to look in your trunk...Oops! There might just be a motored up 3 cluster SR71 in there! It must be left over from years ago. Friends must be planting oddrocs in there again. Why 3 Cs when one of those new Qiest D16s will do fine. Did I hear someone say 3 D16s? Yes! Dr. Evil is over there, go get him! :)
Sounds like you are being lured in. Especially if you have multiple kits!

Sounds like you are being lured in. Especially if you have multiple kits!
Yes. The Dark Side is strong with this kit.
Its almost as if you can reach out with your feelings and see the interaction between the thrust, the drag, the lift. Launch an SR71 3 motor cluster and you will open your eyes to a much broader world. One that may include mindsimming. Feel the force between the CG and CP. Keep your mind on where you are at, what you are doing and you should light all three.

Is there room in the outboard area to cant the MMTs so that thrust goes through the CG? That'd mitigate the issues of less than 3 motors igniting.

Is there room in the outboard area to cant the MMTs so that thrust goes through the CG? That'd mitigate the issues of less than 3 motors igniting.
I don't think so. It would make the SR71 look knocked kneed. Moving the pod out on a cant might cause other issues worse than mitigating ignition issues. This airplane oddroc is light 'em all or go home. Hey Bevis, press the button you fart knocker , this is going to be cool! :)

Great build! Love that bird, always have. I also built and flew (once) the 1990s kit when I was a kid. Got it hung up in some power lines, and remember going back the next day after some rain overnight to find that although the shock cord mount did let go, the airframe had been driven over and was a goner. Now I am thinking about trying a scratch build. I found the perfect templates for the balsa parts via RocketReviews RockSim files. I will try and make a nose cone from scratch.

Does anyone have a scan/drawing of the top/bottom paper skin that comes in the kit? I am planning a "guess and check" method, but figured I might be able to find some help here :)

Oh, and has anyone seen an SR-71 flying model with a D-21 parasite drone? I'm thinking might be cool to make it a launch assisted glider that jettisons at ejection charge.
LockheedM21-D21.jpg

1920px-The_Lockheed_D-21.jpg

Does anyone have a scan/drawing of the top/bottom paper skin that comes in the kit? I am planning a "guess and check" method, but figured I might be able to find some help here :)

Here are mine, with main body tube, side pods, and nose cone, for size:
SR71 body paper shroud.jpg

P.S.: If you want to, you can have 1 of my 2. I doubt that I really need 2 spares.

This was my favorite rocket when I was a kid. I think I built mine in 1988 or 1989. Now my kids are getting into it, but they are out of print! If you still have an extra, I'd love to buy it from you...

I'm diving into this build now too, only trying it from scratch and upscaling a little to BT-55 body tubes and a 24mm motor mount. Gonna carve a nose cone out of balsa...Wish me luck...

Also still thinking of adding a D-21 parasite drone as a launch boosted glider. But first I want to get this flying well.

IMG_20200911_213037824.jpg
IMG_20200911_213056409.jpg

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1942.pdfScan of the embossed skin with ruler
and
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/great-idea.157862/I think you will probably get yours done before me.
Mines will be a BT-5 parasite glider, but it's way back of the build queue.
Good luck!
I knew someone else has to have thought of or tried this drone idea. I haven't even looked at scale for body tube yet, but as light as possible will be a must. If I take it on I'll be sure to share pics.

In the meantime I got my body wrap and wings on. The block of balsa for the nose is glued up waiting to be shaped.
IMG_20200912_231901353.jpg

Well, it took almost 7 weeks for the decals to make it up to the Great White North, but they finally arrived today. To my eye, these 1/72 decals are a little small for the Estes model.

I'm 100% sure they are better than the peel and stick decals that came with the kit.

I'm going to get a high quality scan of these before I put them on. Looking forward to finishing this one off.

cheers - mark

IMG_20201001_195201.jpg

I had 3 I think a while back.
I really like the bird, and want to get one again.
Life made me sell mine, pretty cheap too.
I seen 1, on Ebay and it's a BIN for almost $80.
Can't/WON'T pay that for one.
Maybe if someone here that bought one of mine couple years back, they might think about selling it back to me?

Wonder if anyone has run either dual motors in the engine tubes, or triple with one in the center, too.....hmmm.....
Someone did that a couple months ago on Facebook I believe it was David B.
It worked perfectly

View attachment 516007

Mine has flown successfully with just the center and one outboard. A10's in the pods and 24mm (C11 or D12) in the center. Thumbs up from the TOP. MEN.

View attachment 516010
Those are some of the guys at the launch! All level 3 or employed with top manufacturers and lauch alliances. With their brains and experience we can all flee safe!

I fly SR71s on two C6 0 plugged in the pods and a C6 5 or 7 in the center. Super easy mod to the stock kit. Some offset stinking nose weight and getting a tighter fit on the nose cone to avoid drag seperation are key.

Back