Estes Space Shuttle tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark T (AKA Snuggles)

Reaction score
Hi, been a LONG time since I posted. Question for the group.
I have the foam Estes Space Shuttle with the internal power pod. Want to fly it with a C5-3 tomorrow. Do I want to tilt the pad INTO the wind to get a vertical flight?
Last time I flew her, she did a power loop on a C6-3 and ejected the power pod about a foot off the ground. Not a good flight. Any tips would be great.

If you search the forum for the kit number, 1467, you will find a lot of negative reviews. I bought one of these from another forum member last year because I like gliders and because I wanted to see if I could modify it to make it fly reliably. I have not had a chance to do anything with it yet but I assume that the flight problems that others have experienced may have something to do with the upward eleven angle molded onto the wing to get it to transition and glide correctly.

Let us know how you fare.

I ACTUALLY got an awesome flight on a C6-3 once. Didn't get a chance to fly her last weekend because of issues in the interior of the model. Figuring a C5-3 will get her a better boost off the pad.
Will let you know what happens

I'm glad you put what engine that you had successful flight on, as I was given one of these and haven't flown it yet

I like mine. Modified it to fly on D motors. I never fly anything smaller. The first time I flew it, I forgot to balance the power pod with the D motor. It did a cruise missile routine, luckily away from the spectators and ejected the pod horizontally. The first one I had flew great on D motors. Glided nice too. I'll get this one to work as well. I'll just test it in a big empty field, by myself. Don't won't a repeat of that near miss. I have a long history of dodging land sharks, lol. If it hits me, at least it will spare someone else. These things have a really bad rep. Sort of like the Asphalt Blaster, er, Astro Blaster. Have one of those too. Been totally rebuilt twice. I gave up on that one. Too expensive to rebuild, and didn't like Destroying receivers and/or servos.

I aquired a kit of that and wondered if the power pod ejects safely.
Goes in very herd and if I try to pull that out it hooks up from time to time because it gets tilted slightly.
Any experiences how to handle that problem?
I thought about rc that thing if I find some space

I think mine only hung up once. You might need to sand the rings on the pod slightly. It should slide fairly easily without falling out. As for RC, you'd be hard pressed to find components small enough, and it has to be balanced very well to glide properly. You might need a bigger shuttle if you want to RC it, ; )

Back