Estes Space Shuttle C/G

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With or without the power pod in it? Also, I'm guessing you're asking where the CG should be, rather than where it is.

Assuming you're talking about the foam one from the 90's that I had, there should be two little dimples in the upper side of the wings next to the fuselage. A pair of sharpened sticks (I believe the instructions suggested pencils but you can use bamboo skewers or whatever else you might have lying around) should fit into those dimples and are supposed to be used to balance the orbiter model without the power pod in order to get a good glide.

To be clearer, you set up the two sharpened sticks to point vertically up. You set the foam orbiter upside down on the sticks with the points in the aforementioned dimples and adjust the nose and tail weight until it balances. It should be pretty tail-heavy to start with, and there's a well in the underside of the nose for you to put clay until it balances.

Thanks for the replies. I flew it a week or two ago. Had the pad tilted with the wind a bit(bad idea)
Used a C5-3 as it has a bit more oomph(they weren't available at the time)
Did a power loop and the Wile E Coyote recovery(spit the pod AFTER impact)
It was a freshly plowed field so minimal damage.
Will tilt pad UPWIND next time

Thanks for the replies. I flew it a week or two ago. Had the pad tilted with the wind a bit(bad idea)
Used a C5-3 as it has a bit more oomph(they weren't available at the time)
Did a power loop and the Wile E Coyote recovery(spit the pod AFTER impact)
It was a freshly plowed field so minimal damage.
Will tilt pad UPWIND next time

I would suggest flying it in no wind and use a D16-4 Q-jet motor. With all those heavy washers in the front end, it's really underpowered on a C motor.

Back