Estes Sold...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they rejoiced . . .

. . . if there's a formal announcement.

My sales rep at Great Planes who I had told about the sale over a month ago just admitted to me that I was right. They made the "official" announcement today. They WILL be staying in Penrose.

And what does that mean?

Oh well, I guess I have to "diagram the joke"....

Hobbico still indicates they have 4 component companies, not five.

On ST-TNG (Google it if the abbreviation is unfamiliar) there was a famous 2 parter with intense brainwashing. The goal of the brainwashing was to get the subject to beleive they saw 5 lights when therre were only 4 lights. No matter how severe the torture, our brave subject insisited there were only four lights. And the final time he was asked to tell his torturer how many lights he sees is captured forever in the looping audio on that website I provided.

now official:
https://www.playthings.com/article/CA6715903.html
CHAMPAIGN, Ill.—Hobbico announced today that it has acquired model rocket company Estes-Cox Corp. for an undisclosed sum.

Estes products include a wide range of flying model rockets in kit and ready-to-fly form, as well as launching systems and miniature solid-propellant rocket motors. Located in The 51-year-old company operates a manufacturing plant and distribution center in Penrose, Colo. It will continue to operate there as a subsidiary of Hobbico.

“I’ve been proud to lead Estes over the last 19 years,” said Barry Tunick, departing president and CEO of Estes-Cox, “but this new combination with Hobbico represents a unique, strategic partnership. Hobbico has expertise for developing exciting hobby products plus the resources to help Estes-Cox grow. Joining the strengths of Estes with Hobbico and its Revell subsidiary will lead to interesting new products and position Estes-Cox for new growth opportunities.”

Tunick, co-owner of the company with investment firm Prairie Capital, will continue as a consultant to the company.

Hobbico markets a diversified stable of radio controlled models, plastic model kits, trains and other hobby and toy products. The employee-owned company’s subsidiaries include Revell-United Model, Great Planes Model Distributors and Tower Hobbies.

I'm a little behind things lately , is this the R/C side of estes/cox, or the whole package?

*edit-missed the previous post ..thanks

Oh well, I guess I have to "diagram the joke"....

Hobbico still indicates they have 4 component companies, not five.

Hobbico has bought many companies over the years (Top Flight, Revell/Monogram, etc.).

They do not list it as a seperate entity, it is included under the umbrella of the entire company.

Since I can use Google, and since I know that Great Planes did not buy Estes - it was Hobbico - I can locate information on the web.

Good Lord Fred, I'm sorry I found out way before you did... Shall I not bother posting anything else I discussed with my sales rep in our 1/2 hour phone call for fear you may have to correct me:rolleyes:?

Good Lord Fred, I'm sorry I found out way before you did... Shall I not bother posting anything else I discussed with my sales rep in our 1/2 hour phone call for fear you may have to correct me:rolleyes:?

don't worry you made the first(official) post on TRF
Fred was creating up a .wav file or something( the stephen hawking of rocketry)

Last edited:

Don't feel bad he corrects everyone. he knows everything and we are just meager uneducated peon's. But thats ok because I wouldn't have Fred any other way...

I just hope they (hobbyco) does good with estes. none of this made in Indonesia all plastic 3fnc boring no imagination junk..

Don't feel bad he corrects everyone. he knows everything and we are just meager uneducated peon's. But thats ok because I wouldn't have Fred any other way...

I just hope they (hobbyco) does good with estes. none of this made in Indonesia all plastic 3fnc boring no imagination junk..

You spelled Hobbico incorrectly.

Neener, neener.:neener:

Blessed FSM, No! (Since we're invoking deities). :D

I was merely pointing out (and it's been a little while since I've done that) that Google is a very good way of searching for the source of information - provided that the search terms are correct. Searching for Estes and Great Planes will just lead you to a bunch of websites for distribution and sales. Searching for the parent company that actually bought Estes plus Estes finds the good info - as of this morning when it was finally released.

And since I did not qutoe your message, I was not replying directly to you or "correcting" you. I was replying to the general readers who all seemed to have been asking for a link to a verifiable source.

There is nothing wrong with posting third hand information, but I personally try to either identify that it is unsubstantiated (but should be soon) or provide the link to the origin of the info.

No editing capability here, so please view the following message from the beginning through the 11 second mark for my obligatory audio or video. The rest is just creepy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAU0l7325w0

Blessed FSM, No! (Since we're invoking deities). :D

Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midget, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.

Since you invoked his most blessed noodly one, I just had to.

FSM works in mysterious ways. I just happened to have packed a bid container of Fusilli and chicken (with sauce) for my lunch today, and I just heated it up. Yum!

Back