Estes Solar Flare

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
Finished putting decals on this today. The paint has been done for a couple weeks now, but I put off doing the decals. Used liquid decal film on them just to be on the safe side. I wasn't taking any chances with these new Estes decals. The fin rings were little out of round, just like others have reported, so there are a couple spots where they don't meet exactly, but it's close enough.

All-in-all, this is a decent kit. Went together pretty quickly. Finishing takes some time with all the balsa and nooks, but it's an interesting two stage design, and looks pretty good when finished. Luckily, I needed a new Estes controller, and it never hurts to have a spare pad. For 25 bucks (which is what I spent at Toys R Us) you can do whole lot worse. I'm glad to see them offer starter kit that actually requires and promotes some actual rocket building techniques.

Estes-Solar-Flare.jpg

Speaking of the Solar Flare...I was in a new Toys R Us on Saturday and they finally stocked up on Estes products. Tons of launch sets including the Solar Scouts and Customizer, but none of the Solar Flare. Naturally they had two large double-decker motor boxes chock full of B6-0 and A10-3T motor packs.

This is a direct repeat of the idiocy that TRU inventory diaplayed during the era that they sold the D12-0 and D12-7 motors and had no Delta-Clipper rockets to go with them in some stores and vice-versa in other stores.

Somehow they need to be able to direct store managers that item A MUST be sold with item B.

:(

I've worked for TRU, (Seasonal) the store mangers really have little power in what they stock from what I remember. That's all decided further up the chain.

Your rocket looks great, and yes she flies great.
DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

Another great rocket from foose :) great pictures too guys. I am off to a launch this w/e I hope :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks Fred.:)

Those are some great pics Scigs. I'm hoping I get a chance to launch mine this weekend. The prospect looks good.

Hint... hint... EMRR is missing a review on this rocket.

I've flown mine two or three times without incident. I'm pretty sure I've been doing B6-0 to A10-3T each time... that combo gets plenty of altitude. I don't take notes so I don't recall whether or not I boosted on C6 yet. :eek: Next time....for sure!

Mine flew twice, once on a B6-0/A10-3T combo. That flight was perfect.

The fatal flight was on the C6-0/A10-3T combo. The rocket took off, went nearly horizontal and appeared to perform a loop or two and then was pointed nose down when staging occurred and the sustainer smashed into the ground at full power. Needlessly to say, it was crumpled pretty good!!!:rolleyes:

The fatal flight was on the C6-0/A10-3T combo. The rocket took off, went nearly horizontal and appeared to perform a loop or two and then was pointed nose down when staging occurred and the sustainer smashed into the ground at full power. Needlessly to say, it was crumpled pretty good!!!:rolleyes:

Hrmmmmm. Maybe I won't be doing a C6.:rolleyes:

1) Did you report this to Estes? They like to know when a production kit flies unstable so they can investigate and make corrections (usually nose weight).

2) Was there anything unusual about the booster motor such as "Poopy Clay" nozzle that eroded asymmetrically?

3) Was everything built exactly per the directions (i.e. nothing shifted aft, all parts used, no additional or substituted parts, normal finish vs. extremely heavy finish)??

I flew the Solar Flare at NARAM this past weekend. I didn't get to try the C6-0 like I wanted because of field constraints and wind, but I really like the B6-0 to A10 combo.

Solar-Flare-rod-clear.jpg

Solar-Flare-boost.jpg

Solar-Flare-boost2.jpg

Solar-Flare-stage.jpg

Solar-Flare-stage2.jpg

Hey scigs, I couldn't help but notice you're 'field'. Do you fly from a beach?

I flew the Solar Flare at NARAM this past weekend. I didn't get to try the C6-0 like I wanted because of field constraints and wind, but I really like the B6-0 to A10 combo.
Craig those shots are outstanding :) When you get a booster separation thats just plain cool. Beauty rocket and once again very nice pictures sir :)
Cheers
fred

Breaking news per Christine at Estes Customer Service: The Solar Flare launch set is discontinued but the rocket itself is set to be re-released by itself in June.

Breaking news per Christine at Estes Customer Service: The Solar Flare launch set is discontinued but the rocket itself is set to be re-released by itself in June.

Looking forward to that - I like the looks of this rocket but I just DON'T need any more launch pads and controllers (I must have more than half a dozen already - and I don't even use them any more since I fly at the club field! :rolleyes:)

GREAT!

I want one but I just don't need another launch set.;)

Hi All,

Our local Toys R us in South Eastern PA has the Solar Flare with launch kit
for half price, around $14 bucks. They must have them left over from Christmas.
I think it is a great deal.:2:

Cornyl

Hmm, many hobby distributors are noting that the Solar Flare kit along with other new Estes models should be available in the next month or two.

I guess the Hobbico/Great Planes purchase of Estes has delayed the release of new products. :(

Back