Estes SLV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Borne (Estes designer) mention doing so in an interview on The Rocketry Show. He said it flys great clustered...... but Estes cannot endorse it for obvious reasons! I thing he said he did a central E9 and c6's in the pods. I've not been that brace yet on the one I built for my 5 year old, but can say it flys well on an AT E18 reload!

Jack

John Borne (Estes designer) mention doing so in an interview on The Rocketry Show. He said it flys great clustered...... but Estes cannot endorse it for obvious reasons! I thing he said he did a central E9 and c6's in the pods. I've not been that brace yet on the one I built for my 5 year old, but can say it flys well on an AT E18 reload!

Jack

*Boren

The obvious reasons are not entirely obvious to me.:confused:

*Boren

The obvious reasons are not entirely obvious to me.:confused:

He is the chief designer at Estes and can't endorse flying an Estes kit beyond the standard design. If something goes wrong he doesn't want someone claiming "But John, a representative of Estes, said we could do this". Too much legal potential.

Jack
Thanks.
Does anyone have pics of it flying in this configuration?

Boren is only one of his many Identities. He is a former Treadstone Agent suffering from amnesia, and for the moment he goes by Boren and poses as a rocket designer while he searches for his true identity and fights for survival.

Boren is only one of his many Identities. He is a former Treadstone Agent suffering from amnesia, and for the moment he goes by Boren and poses as a rocket designer while he searches for his true identity and fights for survival.
Ok.

Now I'm Kevin, I'm a Minion.

Signed
Formally known as Boren

Would you have to make any modifications to the estes SLV for it to fly in a cluster?

You'll need to plug the booster motors in the pods. Otherwise the inside will get scorched.

Plus, unless you have rocksim, you'll need to put it together stock with the biggest motor it recommends and find the CG. Then put in your pod motors and add nose weight until the CG matches the original value. Any custered model will be aft-heavy.

You'll need to plug the booster motors in the pods. Otherwise the inside will get scorched.

Plus, unless you have rocksim, you'll need to put it together stock with the biggest motor it recommends and find the CG. Then put in your pod motors and add nose weight until the CG matches the original value. Any custered model will be aft-heavy.
Yea i know but i dont have rocksim. I only have OR and it doesnt sim pods.

You could get a decent cg approximation using OR, using tube fins for the pods. The only thing you'd have to fudge in there would be the pod nose cones, but that'd be easy enough to do with weight elements, appropriately placed.

You don't need a sim program to find CG. Just balance the rocket on something. In fact, even if you do use a sim program, you should always balance the rocket manually, and weigh it manually, then plug the measured CG and mass back into the sim as overrides.

You could get a decent cg approximation using OR, using tube fins for the pods. The only thing you'd have to fudge in there would be the pod nose cones, but that'd be easy enough to do with weight elements, appropriately placed.

You don't need a sim program to find CG. Just balance the rocket on something. In fact, even if you do use a sim program, you should always balance the rocket manually, and weigh it manually, then plug the measured CG and mass back into the sim as overrides.

Since the SLV is a commercially produced stable model, There isn't really a need for a sim like Thirsty said.
It's pretty simple to match the CG of one motor once you have the extra five.

The only benefit to having RS is that you wouldn't have to have the motors in hand, you could just say "I want a D12 and five B6's", and you could get a target weight addition digitally instead of by hand.

rabbit trail: A D12 and 5 B6's would be what....E42? Ooh! An E9 and 5 C6's would be.....G32?

Agreed that you ultimately want to just measure CP with the finished model. I was assuming that TRFfan might be interested in exploring the stability and clustering issues before building it, in which case a sim model would be helpful.

The one and only cluster flight I made at our clubs field with a SLV had a E12 in the center and five C6-0 motors in the pods. I didn't add any weight to the nose and it flew perfectly straight. I am not indorsing the clustering if this Estes kit, but simply stating it has been done.

John Boren

The one and only cluster flight I made at our clubs field with a SLV had a E12 in the center and five C6-0 motors in the pods. I didn't add any weight to the nose and it flew perfectly straight. I am not indorsing the clustering if this Estes kit, but simply stating it has been done.

John Boren
Ok thanks!

Back