Estes SLS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvryThngIsAOk

Reaction score
So my preorder of the SLS arrived today.
A few surprises.
Unlike the Saturn V of last year which is more like an old Cox rockets , The SLS is a standard paper body tube with a plastic nose cone and nozzles.
The engine mount is a standard bt-20 engine mount with a retainer hook
SRBs are also paper tubes.
Fins are removable but rocket with not stand on its own without them due to the engine hook. No stand or display base like the SatV
Very well finished should be a great flyer.

Attachments

• 42933892-621E-4FB1-B636-21E1F877033C.jpeg
    42933892-621E-4FB1-B636-21E1F877033C.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 74E8E441-0DD0-40FB-A50E-A62F0F74AA75.jpeg
    74E8E441-0DD0-40FB-A50E-A62F0F74AA75.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
  • C73D5BDF-1ED4-43AB-A794-BC0D3CF591EF.jpeg
    C73D5BDF-1ED4-43AB-A794-BC0D3CF591EF.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 127
  • BDD93B55-32C8-4B93-9994-5C9C4A27E474.jpeg
    BDD93B55-32C8-4B93-9994-5C9C4A27E474.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 22F4613D-DBDA-4E7D-B332-9FB2E8211DF3.jpeg
    22F4613D-DBDA-4E7D-B332-9FB2E8211DF3.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 130
  • E24572E9-FA84-4F02-BAEC-1B3E1ECB3EE8.jpeg
    E24572E9-FA84-4F02-BAEC-1B3E1ECB3EE8.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 0DAA99F6-445E-4139-939E-F7E6122094DD.jpeg
    0DAA99F6-445E-4139-939E-F7E6122094DD.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 130
Great detail for a RTF kit though really happy
Will have to order a spare

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
How do the clear fins lock into the booster pods?
I see they are square. Is there a locking spring tab?
Or something else?

Also, how does it compare weight-wise with the RTF Saturn V? I would think with a higher percentage of paper tubing it should be lighter.

I'm kind of disappointed it doesn't have a screw-on motor retainer, though.

Also, how does it compare weight-wise with the RTF Saturn V? I would think with a higher percentage of paper tubing it should be lighter.

I'm kind of disappointed it doesn't have a screw-on motor retainer, though.
With out Parachute in either, with flight fins in place.

Saturn V 4.7 oz
SLS 3.8 oz

I received my SLS a couple of days ago also. Nice looking kit overall. Think I will replace the rubber shock cord though after a couple of flights.

Agree! I found even a c-6 to
Be underpower on the Sat V and went to a qjet c-11
A c6-5 should be good in the SLS
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't that impressed with the RTF Saturn. I lost it to a condo roof before the C5-3 came out in summer and don't have easy access to Qjets. I think the C6-5 might have too long of a delay with all of the plastic and faux boosters.

I flew my SLS yesterday. Great flight on a C6-3. Here's my unboxing and flight video.......

Looks like Centennial Hills. I used to live by Best of the West. If I was still there, I'd be out at Jean Lake every week and going broke faster than a high limit player.

I received my SLS a couple of days ago also. Nice looking kit overall. Think I will replace the rubber shock cord though after a couple of flights.

Please don't delay the shock cord swap - I lost the nose cone of my RTF Sat-V last summer, on the second (2nd) flight.
The elastic cord failed upon ejection, the airframe came in ballistic (and survived!), while the nose cone drifted under parachute into another zip code. I actually located it, later, hanging on top of a 80+foot tree.
Ordered a replacement from Estes the next day.

HTH,
a

Yup, thanks. You think Estes would get rid of the rubber and replace with something more substantive. Sorry you lost your nose. Been there, done that, ha.

S

Ideas?????
If anyone saw my latest launch video with the SLS chute not deploying, I’m perplexed about the SRB mounts. It appears that due to the SRB mounts being rather bulky and sticking out into the tube, the chute got hung up on them. I’m leery about launching again until I figure out a way to reduce the chance of a hang up. Any ideas???

I place my lines on the inside of the chute. It wasn’t the lines that are getting hung up, it’s the chute itself. On the inside of the body tube, there are plastic anchors protruding in from the top of the SRB mount. They are roughly in the same spot that you would see an Estes tri-fold shock cord mount. Very annoying location for such an obstruction..............

Ideas?????
If anyone saw my latest launch video with the SLS chute not deploying, I’m perplexed about the SRB mounts. It appears that due to the SRB mounts being rather bulky and sticking out into the tube, the chute got hung up on them. I’m leery about launching again until I figure out a way to reduce the chance of a hang up. Any ideas???
I noticed those anchors also and am considering covering them with some of the Apogee Fix-It epoxy clay (or similar) and smoothing it out over them. Also will use that when I replace the shock cord.

Ok, here was my attempt at this problem. In the first photo, you see the anchors sticking out. Second photo was after I smooshed them down with a soldering iron. Third is after I covered them with some wood glue to smooth them out a bit. This should be done before you ever attempt to fly it. Those anchors are a hassle for the chute!!!
DFEB99DF-662E-4B02-B7D2-965A0D51FF73.jpeg8A1B021F-6FA2-47AC-A4DE-3CAA2FA795B9.jpegBEB2080B-0A40-496B-9763-B337C00680C8.jpeg

This is a picture from the box. It wasn’t exactly “Made by Estes”.................. 😂E26C12B8-BF06-4512-91E3-25E8DA89DC71.jpeg

Couldn't hurt to ask........ Worst they can say is no, which puts you right back where you started.........

Is it just me or does everyone have issues with Estes wadding? I know a lot of folks are using that insulation stuff, but it doesn't matter how many pieces of wadding I shove down the tube, I get my chutes burnt EVERY single flight. I even used 5 pieces in my Wizard once and the chute still burned! Very annoying....... I'm thinking that with these larger tubed rockets like the SLS and Saturn V, it would take a ton of wadding to protect it.

Yes, you are correct, however I haven’t had good luck with streamers on my Wizard. I got some 6” chutes with my Bandit rockets, which use the same size body tube, so I use the chutes instead. Watch my latest video to see what happened to my Wizard on a streamer! LOL.

Is it just me or does everyone have issues with Estes wadding? I know a lot of folks are using that insulation stuff, but it doesn't matter how many pieces of wadding I shove down the tube, I get my chutes burnt EVERY single flight. I even used 5 pieces in my Wizard once and the chute still burned! Very annoying....... I'm thinking that with these larger tubed rockets like the SLS and Saturn V, it would take a ton of wadding to protect it.

I've given up on using wadding years ago, and switched to Nomex blankets on all my rockets.
They are more reliable, easier to manage, leave no debris on the field, and are reusable across airframes. The cost a little more money upfront, but this also frees my mind from managing wadding/insulation supply chain and remembering to replenish the stock in the "launch bag".

• Smaller low-power Estes rockets get 4x4" Nomex blankets.
  • Mid-size one usually get 6x6" ones.
  • Larger diameter ones get 9x9" or larger chute protectors, similar to these ones:
https://www.rocketarium.com/Heat-Shields
HTH,
a

P.S.: The only exception to the above are super-small airframe models like 18mm MMT SR71 and X-wing. There is barely enough room in them for the chute, so only disposable wadding fits in there.

Recommended engines are
C5-3 and C6-3
https://estesrockets.com/product/002206-nasa-sls/
Might have time for the longer delay before it hits the ground, but you don’t want to pop the chute at too high speed while ballistic and rip off a shroud line or zipper the body.
From my experience with the Saturn V RTF, you want as little delay as you can get. In fact, I’d just go with the C5-3, straighter flight.

Back