Estes - Sky Writer (#1260) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88tc

Reaction score
I'm new to rockets. The kids and I have made less than 10 launches. I have learned a lot from this forum. Plenty of great info here. I put this rocket together, but haven't launched it yet. I shortened a sky writer and painted it black. It's 16 1/2" long. I plan on using a streamer. I don't know a lot about engines. I don't want to put the most powerful engine into it, because I'll probably never see it again. I hope it will fly ok, since it's so much shorter than the original design.

100_2165.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't mine, it belongs to a young man who is a member of our new rocket club. This was my first time to see one in real life, and it is a great little flyer! The boy and his dad had so much fun flying it, they few it about 4 times today...

DSC_2933MR.jpg

This is my daughter's new rocket, we are looking to launch this weekend !

attachment.php

I decided to decorate my Sky Writer in a faux-scale motif similar to my Athena.
attachment.php

Welcome to the Estes Sky Writer (#1260) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Sky Writer (#1260) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: No. 2 Estes Sky Writer: #1235
Estes: (No. 2 (Estes)) Sky Writer: #1260
MMWW: Pencil Odd-Roc: #294

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Sky Writer (#1260) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Sky Writer Also known as: No. 2 Sky Writer, No. 2 Estes Sky Writer

NUMBER: #1260

Introduced: 2002
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 26 in. (66 cm)
Diameter: 0.98 in. (25 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.5 oz. (42.5 g)

Mfg. Description: This fun rocket looks like a wooden pencil. It "sky writes" up to 1100 ft. (335 m) in the air. The Sky Writer™ comes with colored body tubes, fins and nose cone, so assembly is quick and easy. (Estes 2002 Catalog)

=====

E2X - Easy to Assemble

Have you ever wanted to write in the sky? You can with the Estes No. 2 Skywriter. It "sky writes" up to 1100 feet in the sky! You'll have lots of fun with this crowd-drawing, pencil rocket at your launches.

The No. 2 Sky Writer rocket is a one-of-a-kind design from the creative guys at the Estes rocket shop. It's the very first model rocket to replicate the good ole' No. 2 wooden pencil. A rocket shaped like a pencil? Yep...we're just that good!

This high performance rocket was designed to erase the law of gravity while it races up to 1,100 feet and returns safely on its colorful 12 inch preassembled parachute. This giant replica of an iconic writing tool stands over 2 feet tall and comes with a conveniently precolored body tube that looks like the real thing - eraser and all! It really looks just like a pencil streaking toward the clouds! If you've never seen a school supply fly, here's your chance!

The No. 2 Sky Writer is an E2X series kit, which means quick and easy assembly that usually takes about an hour or less. After the basic rocket is assembled, complete the pencil look with the self-stick decal. (Estes 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-sky%20writer%201260-2002%20cat.jpg
2002 Catalog

estes-sky%20writer%201260-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-sky%20writer%201260-face%201.jpg
estes-sky%20writer%201260-face%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-sky%20writer%201260-instr%201.jpg
estes-sky%20writer%201260-instr%202.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes No. 2 Estes Sky Writer (#1235) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: No. 2 Estes Sky Writer Also known as: Launchables Sky Writer

NUMBER: #1235

Introduced: 2002
Final Year: 2003
Designer:

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 26 in. (66 cm)
Diameter: 0.98 in. (25 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.5 oz. (42.5 g)

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

estes-no%202%20estes%20sky%20writer%201235-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-no%202%20estes%20sky%20writer%201235-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW Pencil Odd-Roc (#294) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: Pencil Odd-Roc Also known as:

NUMBER: #294

Introduced: 2003
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Oddroc, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 7.375"
Diameter: 0.281"
Span: 1.375"
Weight: 3.25g

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

mmww-pencil%20odd%20roc%20294-plan%20image.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-pencil%20odd%20roc%20294-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-pencil%20odd%20roc%20294-face.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
After I lost my first on it's maiden flight, I built another. Went with another scale-style motif.
IMG_0567-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had a bunch of these laying around one night before a launch and decided to build one just to have something different to fly. Nice, quick project, and not a bad looker on the pad.

It doesn't look like that anymore. :eek: Flight was a B6-4 and CATO'd just as it left the rod.

The motor fired out past the motor hook, bending the tab almost straight. The casing hit the blast deflector and broke the plastic standoff. The rest of the rocket fell in three pieces; body tube, fin can and nose cone.

The shock cord burned in half and the motor tube is completely crisped and bent out of shape. The body tube is blistered and burned. This one won't fly again. :(

The shock cord burned in half and the motor tube is completely crisped and bent out of shape. The body tube is blistered and burned. This one won't fly again. :(

File your mess report... get a replacement

If you want, you could always try to "fix" it (while permanently disabling it), and give it to a school teacher as a static display.

File your mess report... get a replacement

If you want, you could always try to "fix" it (while permanently disabling it), and give it to a school teacher as a static display.

Nah, I autopsied it.:cool: The nose cone is awaiting paint as a Maverick.

Nothing to file. The engine casing disappeared when it cleared the hook and killed my pad. Considering that I got the picture of the boom part, I was more upset about the pad being broken.

Back