Estes Sky Dart II - Interesting Little Rocket-Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good fix for the through tube. The engine scoop tubes give you additional places where you can add some hidden clay for balancing the glider, should you need to add tail weight.

Whatever you do, dont go overboard with fillers, primer layers, and heavy paint coats. You want to keep this light so that it flies well

I had one of these back in the day. I think they are hard to find now.

You may get what you ask for. I have had more than one boost glider tend to go toward horizontal after the boost phase. It's kind of cool on rockets that have lots of surface area. I attribute this to marginal stability due to the change in CG from the weight loss of burnt propellant and weather cocking. Even if you get a vertical boost and coast, this rocket will give a nice glide if trimmed correctly. Enjoy.

Hey all-

While I am working on my L3, I thought it would be fin to do an Estes build at the same time. I picked the Astron Sky Dart II. A rocket glider is a new thing for me and I thought I would give it a go. I also thought I would share the fun. It is an interesting kit and looks cool. I have never seen one at any of the launches I have been to (and I go to a lot of launches). So, here we go!

View attachment 426931
Hi
Hey all-

While I am working on my L3, I thought it would be fin to do an Estes build at the same time. I picked the Astron Sky Dart II. A rocket glider is a new thing for me and I thought I would give it a go. I also thought I would share the fun. It is an interesting kit and looks cool. I have never seen one at any of the launches I have been to (and I go to a lot of launches). So, here we go!

View attachment 426931
Hi - did you or has ANYBODY AT ALL gotten your Sky Dart II to fly up instead of sideways? It glides great, if I can get it up (as it were). I've trimmed it with more weight, less weight, angle of elevator, smashed and replaced the front end many times and I just can't seem to get it right. If it gets high enough to eject the pod then it's an awesome glider, but I've only had anything close to success a few times.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Back