Estes Shuttle Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all...I hope you are enjoying the Holiday. With my Conquest, Odyssey and SLV well flown.....I am looking to move onto my next build. Looking to build the Estes Shuttle. I am looking forward to this one.

My question is has anyone ever had the glider actually glide well with nothing done to it other than basic trim? I dont mean to offend the glider/plane folks nor the designer of the kit. But if the glider simply dives to the ground for me to repair each time....I may just keep the whole unit together and launch and recover as a single unit. I dont have an interest in endlessly trying to get it to glide. I just wanted to ask if it really glides when built per the instructions...anyone who has seen it glide when built stock?

Thanks for your input and time
Andrew

If you you are referring to the Estes Shuttle Kit #7246, then you don't have to worry, The shuttle glides extremely well. Being the designer of this kit I may be a little bias but if built per the instructions and kept light it will fly a very long distance. Like all gliders the better the finish on it the worse the glide performance. One time I hit a thermal and it was up for over 2 minutes. There are may video examples on this model flying very well. During the build follow the instructions very closely, especially when it comes to gluing in the plastic hook into the shuttles nose. The bottom of the plastic hook part must be flush with the bottom of the shuttle surface. If glued so this portion of the hook is above the bottom of the shuttles surface, the model with turn towards the shuttle during boost and won't go high at all. Use the longest 3/16" dia. launch rod you can get your hands on and fly in low wind conditions.

John Boren

If you you are referring to the Estes Shuttle Kit #7246, then you don't have to worry, The shuttle glides extremely well. Being the designer of this kit I may be a little bias but if built per the instructions and kept light it will fly a very long distance. Like all gliders the better the finish on it the worse the glide performance. One time I hit a thermal and it was up for over 2 minutes. There are may video examples on this model flying very well. During the build follow the instructions very closely, especially when it comes to gluing in the plastic hook into the shuttles nose. The bottom of the plastic hook part must be flush with the bottom of the shuttle surface. If glued so this portion of the hook is above the bottom of the shuttles surface, the model with turn towards the shuttle during boost and won't go high at all. Use the longest 3/16" dia. launch rod you can get your hands on and fly in low wind conditions.

John Boren

Thank you very much for your reply Mr.Boren. I truly am looking forward to this build. I may do a build thread but have not made up my mind. I will remember your tips on this build....thank you. I was deciding between this and a Black Star Voyager. I really like the involved builds. I really enjoyed the Odyssey and Conquest builds (see my threads on these) and really like how they launch and coast.....fun kits! So I am looking forward to diving in on this one. Could you be so kind as to let me know the paint information for the tank? I hope to get a good match on the color. Does the kit call for a flat finish?

Thanks
Andrew

Amazing seeing feedback from the actual designer !
I've been thinking of building this rocket for a while now...think I'll treat myself for Christmas early.

Happy to hear you like my designs. I designed the Odyssey, Conquest and Black Star Voyager as well. There is no specific color specified for the tank as in a name brand paint. It's suppose to be similar to the color on the NASA Shuttle. I'd prefer Matt before Flat or Glossy for this model but that's up to you. The Black Star Voyager is my favorite design for a builder kit.

I hope to get a good match on the color. Does the kit call for a flat finish?
I tried to match the color of the external fuel tank of the real shuttle:
nasarepairin.jpg

I found that Rusto Satin Rustic Orange was a close match (but not perfect).
Rusto Satin Fire Orange and Gloss Orange were too bright and "orangey", IMO.
And the real one's finish looks to be flat, but that can lead to problems on a model rocket (decal adherence, dirt pickup, etc.)
But since this is not a real scale model, you can choose any color or finish you want. Here's mine:
1130192008.jpg

Happy to hear you like my designs. I designed the Odyssey, Conquest and Black Star Voyager as well. There is no specific color specified for the tank as in a name brand paint. It's suppose to be similar to the color on the NASA Shuttle. I'd prefer Matt before Flat or Glossy for this model but that's up to you. The Black Star Voyager is my favorite design for a builder kit.

Thanks for your reply. I am looking forward to starting this kit. I will hunt around for a paint....maybe go with a matte airbrush paint but I suspect it may not be suited for the outer elements of rocketry. It is also cool to know you also designed the Odyssey and Black Star Voyager....very nice designs. I hope to do this kit justice. I will be posting on this I think. Thanks again.
Andrew

I tried to match the color of the external fuel tank of the real shuttle:
nasarepairin.jpg

I found that Rusto Satin Rustic Orange was a close match (but not perfect).
Rusto Satin Fire Orange and Gloss Orange were too bright and "orangey", IMO.
And the real one's finish looks to be flat, but that can lead to problems on a model rocket (decal adherence, dirt pickup, etc.)
But since this is not a real scale model, you can choose any color or finish you want. Here's mine:
View attachment 399857

Wow! well done!! Do people paint the tank before adding the boosters? Seems like one would have to...I am personally not a fan of painting before assembly....but it looks like a may have to on this one....or is there a work-around? Maybe I just have to open the kit! Once that happens....I am committed. Are the boosters/holders glued on?
Andrew

Yup, the booster holders are glued on. I used pinstriping tape to mask off the glue lines and pre-painted the tank. Also pre-painted the front and rear booster assemblies. After gluing used a brush for touchup work.
I suppose you could paint then sand to expose the glue lines, but I prefer masking with thin tape.
Can't tell you how she flies cuz I haven't maidened her yet.
Have fun!

Here's mine prior to the underpressured E12 ejection charge. Estes made good on their guarantee, so it's back in my build queue.
John is the best!

(I think the orange I used was called Harvest Pumpkin or somesuch)

SANY0044.JPG

I really do like this design and have been considering getting the kit. After building it, I would like to do an upscale of this kit and see how it flies. Do you think the glider would perform without any significant changes?

I wish there was a RS file for it. It would be a lot easier to crunch the numbers first.

Again JumpJet thank you for taking the time to design such an outstanding kit.

Its really cool!!

I think an upscale of this model would be COOL. You could install a micro RC unit in the shuttle to control it on the way down. I'd say measure the CG position of the stack ready to fly and match it with the upscale and maybe even add a little more nose weight. Install a motor with some good kick and watch it fly.

Back