Estes-Shuttle: Build

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by BSNW, Jan 19, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 4, 2020 #121

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Wow man......That was very kind of you! Thank you very much. I am glad you like it. I has been sanding.........so stay tuned! :)
    Andrew

2. Feb 4, 2020 #122

BBowmaster

BBowmaster

BBowmaster

This build thread makes me feel like a caveman banging rocks together. Quite an inspiration to upgrade my build skills.

3. Feb 5, 2020 #123

jrap330

jrap330

jrap330

Have not build a kit in over 10 years so please excuse this question. Shock cord mount, you state straight forward but please elaborate. What are the 2 straps going across the Kevlar ? And is that all CA glue, gluing it into place? Seems the cord would ripe out with just 2 straps going across it. I used the card stock with slits cut in. Weave the shock cord in and out like a belt buckle and maybe put a knot at end to prevent it ripping out.

4. Feb 5, 2020 #124

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Pencil Pusher TRF Supporter

That would be epoxy, you never want to use CA with shock cords, makes them brittle.

Andrew can clarify further, but it looks like two pieces of tape used just to hold the Kevlar in place while the epoxy dried. In the end, it's the epoxy doing most of the work, although if those pieces of tape end up epoxy-soaked then they might contribute as well.

That is a non-traditional shock cord mount for a low-powered rocket. The Kevlar also looks really heavy for a rocket of this size, but the thickness of the braid should definitely increase the strength of the mount (lots of surface area for the epoxy to anchor into).

5. Feb 5, 2020 #125

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Yes, the "straps" going across the Kevlar is simply thin tape. I use a Q-Tip to "shmeer"/press in the epoxy into the Kevlar strap on the side that is to be affixed to the body tube. The tape only serves to hold it in place while I cover the small section of Kevlar with the rest of the epoxy.

I don't see this being all that different than the Estes "tri-fold" method used on almost all model rockets. I am still simply gluing the shock cord to the body tube. Only I am skipping the paper and gluing it directly. The Kevlar in the photo is only 7/16 wide and is very soft. Unlike the Estes rubber band...it WONT break or burn. This wider strap also wont zipper/cut as easily as the thread style Kevlar that cuts body tubes like cheese. I use this set up on everything from BT-55 all the way up to light 4" air frames without a single failure. I hope this helps! :)

Neil: The Kevlar in the photo is only about 6-7 inches inches and in addition to being very soft and supple....it weighs next to nothing when all things are considered. Try it...you may like it. I use it in small rockets with out any problems.

Andrew

6. Feb 5, 2020 #126

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Pencil Pusher TRF Supporter

I actually meant "heavy" as in thick, strong. I know it's quite light. Not a criticism, just an observation. I don't actually own any Kevlar that heavy. :)

7. Feb 5, 2020 #127

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Oh no worries...I get ya now. I am very sorry I did not read you correctly...my bad. This Kevlar I am using is off a big spool I got from a guy at a launch. He was selling it for next to nothing. I have a LOT of 7/16th Kevlar, so I use it when I can. I have to CA the edges though...as it frays pretty bad after I cut it. Have a good day!
    Andrew

8. Feb 13, 2020 #128

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

So things have slowed a down on this build a bit. I ended up getting a cold...then work got busy...yada yada yada.

I left off with the whole rocket covered in the BIN primer. I did find some time to sit down with some 220 and sand away. It was not as hard as I thought it would be, but I did end up using some of my sanding tools to get into the "nooks and crannies". I know it is not a glamours post but below are some shots after the initial sanding. The next step is a light coat of spray primer...then more sanding with 400. THEN one more light coat of spray primer. Then more 400...then top-coat. This is NOT the case with the glider. I sanded that down and shot it with a light coat of primer. I will now just sand it with 400 and do a light top-coat. I think it is almost time to order the 24mm F24-W RMS for this little guy! should be fun!

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

9. Feb 14, 2020 #129

SCooke123

SCooke123

SCooke123

Getting closer!!!!