Estes Sentinal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
Just finished my BT60 E powered version of the Estes Sentinal. I had an extra nose cone from the Estes 3 pack, so I was asking K’tesh about an OR sim and he suggested I use this cone, from the OCC, and clone one. Well, I did. I added forward fin fairings, like the Phoenix, and some aft fin mounting plates, made from a partial crushed BT 55. Added the E motor mount, added a baffle, Kevlar and elastic shock cord and a 15” nylon chute. Beveled the leading edge of the aft fins which are thru the wall mounted. Very small fillets to go around. Two coats primer, Rustoleum brand and two coats Rustoleum 2X white semi gloss. Decided to not use the blue scheme, but instead make this one a live round, brown and yellow. Blue indicates practice round. Although it is bright and eye catching, I use self adhesive 3M foil tape for the bright work. Made the decals and screws with Paint.net. Hope to fly it next month.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
That's a nice looking rocket. :) That was always a favorite of mine. Dragon Rocketry made an upscale I'm currently building, you should check it out.

Mine chunked a fin the last time I flew it, and then I managed to misplace the fin. I just fixed it the other day. I think I'll fly it in bare balsa once just to show off the battle scars.

Just finished my BT60 E powered version of the Estes Sentinal. I had an extra nose cone from the Estes 3 pack, so I was asking K’tesh about an OR sim and he suggested I use this cone, from the OCC, and clone one. Well, I did. I added forward fin fairings, like the Phoenix, and some aft fin mounting plates, made from a partial crushed BT 55. Added the E motor mount, added a baffle, Kevlar and elastic shock cord and a 15” nylon chute. Beveled the leading edge of the aft fins which are thru the wall mounted. Very small fillets to go around. Two coats primer, Rustoleum brand and two coats Rustoleum 2X white semi gloss. Decided to not use the blue scheme, but instead make this one a live round, brown and yellow. Blue indicates practice round. Although it is bright and eye catching, I use self adhesive 3M foil tape for the bright work. Made the decals and screws with Paint.net. Hope to fly it next month.
OOO! Nice job! I really like your cardstock detail bits. I just finished a Sentinel clone, upgraded for D's and E's. I wish I'd considered the cardstock detail idea.

OOO! Nice job! I really like your cardstock detail bits. I just finished a Sentinel clone, upgraded for D's and E's. I wish I'd considered the cardstock detail idea.
Thanks. I just wanted to put on some more details than the plain stuff. I originally put bolt heads where the screw decals are but they just didn’t look right. Maybe on a larger model. So I went with the screw head decals. I considered doing button head rivets, but they didn’t look right either. When I build a scale like rocket or even semi or full scale, I like to add detail. Plenty of ideas out there from scale drawings to go from. The silver is aluminum tape from 3M. It looks great and will add some flash during tracking. I also used it here with my Talon downscale clone.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.png
    IMG_0177.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back