Estes Scion Build- First Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otimebomb

Reaction score
I have been wanting an Estes Scion for awhile, and finally got one. I'm going to build it mostly stock other than the shock cord parts, and parachute. My plan is to go with a patriotic paint scheme.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Word of caution, the fin slot template that came with mine was not truly equal. I'd measure it with something accurate and confirm that you get 120 degree separation.

That being said, I do like the Scion since it has all the parts to rebuild the best PSII rocket there was, the Leviathan!

Ok... Motor mount in, fins are on, kevlar shock from Madcow installed, rail guide tabs are epoxied in place. Next to do the fillets for the fins. :sigh:

image.jpg

I never had a Leviathan. I know everyone loves them, but the Scion is plenty awesome on it's own. I've had two of them (though they were heavily modified), and they are some of my favorites. Good luck with this build.

Got it all put together. Painted the nose, and have the white base paint on the rocket. It's going to be blue and white, with stars, and some red stripes in there somewhere.

image.jpg

Spereachutes came though with a beautiful red, white, and blue chute to keep with the patriotic theme.

image.jpg

Did more painting. I had some star vinyl masking which I laid down, and taped out what I wanted and sprayed the blue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red finished. Just need to clear, and apply 1 decal I had made for it. I'll get the clear laid tonight .

image.jpg

Nice job. Where'd you pick up your finishing skills ? I actually prefer the Scion configuration to the Leviathan.

Got the clear coat on, and decal applied! Just need to install the chute, and its ready to go!

image.jpg

Got the clear coat on, and decal applied! Just need to install the chute, and its ready to go!

Wow that looks great! Nice design too!

You moved really quit on that paint job. I have to wait days between color with rustolum 2x. What kind of paint are you using?

My Scion is a great goto flier. With the configuration of the fins, I’m not afraid to drop it quickly with a small chute and a JLCR set to 200. This makes it so I can fly it on more days on windier small filers.

Great first flight. Low and slow. Chute release set for 300 feet was flawless. The one picture I caught at just the second it touched the ground.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great first flight. Low and slow. Chute release set for 300 feet was flawless. The one picture I caught at just the second it touched the ground.

What motor?

I've been working on a 3:7 scale AMRAAM from a Scion kit with 10" of extra tube. It's a great rocket on its own but also a great parts source!

Back