Quantcast

Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TRFfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the estes saturn v is here to stay? The last time it was released it was only in production for a short time and then it was discontinued.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like since they brought the original K-36 kit out the model has come and gone with mods from their line up since then. I don't see it disappearing for good any time soon, it's still a VERY popular kit.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I am a believer in this:

No Estes kit is ever here to stay. No Estes kit is ever guaranteed to be gone forever.

However, the SCUD-B was stated that they destroyed the nose cone mold and it would not be coming back. I still don't believe that's a guarantee of its lost existence. Depends on how much we demand it.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
The mold is tooling, and has a cost associated with it. Obviously, Estes is not opposed to creating new tooling is there's a business case for it (see the two-piece fins of the new Saturn V versus the old vac-formed ones). But they probably need a reasonable volume to justify the cost. New tooling for the Saturn V is probably easier to justify at that kit's price point than a nose cone for a skill-level 2 kit is. The SCUD's nose cone was pretty specific, so that makes it tougher to reuse in another kit (though they did with D.A.R.T.). I guess that all boils down to some kits (and parts) have a much greater chance to come back than others do...

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Since they decided to dust off the capsule molds, I'm crossing my fingers to see a comeback of the 1/100 Saturn Ib and Little Joe II. Actually just thinking about that makes me want to dust off my old S-Ib and take it to my next club launch.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Since they decided to dust off the capsule molds, I'm crossing my fingers to see a comeback of the 1/100 Saturn Ib and Little Joe II. Actually just thinking about that makes me want to dust off my old S-Ib and take it to my next club launch.
I dare ya'. :neener:

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Okay, I'll pull it down. Be at the raceway on the 16th to see it go.