Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the estes saturn v is here to stay? The last time it was released it was only in production for a short time and then it was discontinued.

Last edited:
Seems like since they brought the original K-36 kit out the model has come and gone with mods from their line up since then. I don't see it disappearing for good any time soon, it's still a VERY popular kit.

I am a believer in this:

No Estes kit is ever here to stay. No Estes kit is ever guaranteed to be gone forever.

However, the SCUD-B was stated that they destroyed the nose cone mold and it would not be coming back. I still don't believe that's a guarantee of its lost existence. Depends on how much we demand it.

The mold is tooling, and has a cost associated with it. Obviously, Estes is not opposed to creating new tooling is there's a business case for it (see the two-piece fins of the new Saturn V versus the old vac-formed ones). But they probably need a reasonable volume to justify the cost. New tooling for the Saturn V is probably easier to justify at that kit's price point than a nose cone for a skill-level 2 kit is. The SCUD's nose cone was pretty specific, so that makes it tougher to reuse in another kit (though they did with D.A.R.T.). I guess that all boils down to some kits (and parts) have a much greater chance to come back than others do...

Since they decided to dust off the capsule molds, I'm crossing my fingers to see a comeback of the 1/100 Saturn Ib and Little Joe II. Actually just thinking about that makes me want to dust off my old S-Ib and take it to my next club launch.

Since they decided to dust off the capsule molds, I'm crossing my fingers to see a comeback of the 1/100 Saturn Ib and Little Joe II. Actually just thinking about that makes me want to dust off my old S-Ib and take it to my next club launch.

I dare ya'. :neener:

Okay, I'll pull it down. Be at the raceway on the 16th to see it go.

Back