Estes Saturn V vacuformed wraps wrong?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
I have a #2001 Saturn V that was partially built that I scored on eBay 6 or 7 yrs ago, for $12. I have decided to finish it. But the wraps (paper) were destroyed by the original builder. Everything was there, but I needed the wraps. Try as I might, I never found the original wraps, so I had to purchase the #2157 wraps from Estes. However, with the primer on and planning the final paint, I noticed that the conduits on this side of the first stage is located on the wrong side of the conduit on the second stage. It is located on the right side from the second stage conduit. It should be by all the pics I have seen, located to the left of the upper conduit. And that puts the opposite conduit on the other side of the first stage wrong also. Am I wrong in my findings?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
With this issue, I don’t know where to start the roll patterns. If it is wrong, then where do I start? i guess I would start at the fins due to they are standard and the carry the roll pattern to the second stage. Unfortunately this would be wrong but it would have to match with the first stage? Any ideas or am I seeing this all wrong?

Last edited:
This may help . . .

Dave F.

Attachments

• New Saturn V Modeling Drawings.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • FB8PC14JPX5CFW1.LARGE.jpg
    FB8PC14JPX5CFW1.LARGE.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • valentin-winkelmann-saturn-v-full.jpg
    valentin-winkelmann-saturn-v-full.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Saturn-5-Markings-Detailed-Diagram.pdf
    679.7 KB · Views: 0
I just purchased the wrap set for my rebuild of kit #2001 just a month ago from Estes. I wish they would have fixed it. And what kills me is that I ordered the Skylab wraps. Must have been old stock. Too late now anyways, it is painted and done. I tried to find out but I guess it doesn’t matter now.

I just purchased the wrap set for my rebuild of kit #2001 just a month ago from Estes. I wish they would have fixed it. And what kills me is that I ordered the Skylab wraps. Must have been old stock. Too late now anyways, it is painted and done. I tried to find out but I guess it doesn’t matter now.
Chris Michelson in his build (on his personal build blog webpage) may have had a fix for it, iirc....

If you line up the obvious conduits between the two wraps, then the umbilical receptacle connections to the tower on the two wraps are not lined up vertically. Not many folks would know that those receptacle details mate up against a tower, unless you were planning to make a scale tower for display, maybe?

I have a #2001 Saturn V that was partially built that I scored on eBay 6 or 7 yrs ago, for $12. I have decided to finish it. But the wraps (paper) were destroyed by the original builder. Everything was there, but I needed the wraps. Try as I might, I never found the original wraps, so I had to purchase the #2157 wraps from Estes. However, with the primer on and planning the final paint, I noticed that the conduits on this side of the first stage is located on the wrong side of the conduit on the second stage. It is located on the right side from the second stage conduit. It should be by all the pics I have seen, located to the left of the upper conduit. And that puts the opposite conduit on the other side of the first stage wrong also. Am I wrong in my findings?
Merry Christmas! I'm not sure if you can help me or just point me in the right direction. I found a #2001 Saturn V in our basement recently. My wife bought it for me in 1994, when we had four young kids and very busy lives. Never had time to build it. Now, I find the box with everything inside, except for assembly instructions. Any idea where I can find them?

Merry Christmas! I'm not sure if you can help me or just point me in the right direction. I found a #2001 Saturn V in our basement recently. My wife bought it for me in 1994, when we had four young kids and very busy lives. Never had time to build it. Now, I find the box with everything inside, except for assembly instructions. Any idea where I can find them?
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes.htm

I got the relatively recent version of this and had to do some shuffling of the wraps to get it accurate. Got that done but haven't worked up enthusiasm to paint it yet.

The images provided by Dave upthread are useful.

Back