Estes Saturn V is Back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Oh Boy! I get to be the one to announce it first!

The Estes SATURN V is listed on the Estes website, moved to the "What's New" listings.

Sat V Available.jpg

At this moment, if you go to the product page it shows it "Out Of Stock"
But we are closer to lots and lots of masking!

Last edited:
I still have a partial one built from years ago. Maybe a winter this year.

In related news, SaturnV the forum member is back too, going by the name of "Foff".:facepalm:

16 pages of instructions...

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002157_SATURN_V.pdf

This one is a must buy for me.

cheers - mark

After reading through those instructions... F--- me. I know I'm getting one at some point and that is going to take me quite a while. Over-the-winter build perhaps?

I'd be interested in seeing what modifications would be beneficial. Upgrade to 29mm mount perhaps? What needs to be strengthened to handle a G?

Now that I think of it, waiting until October might have been a wise marketing decision as that's the earliest that people start shopping for Christmas presents. Build up stock during July-August-Sep. so that they don't run out during the Holidays.

This is a good bird. Don't rush the build. A little at a time and think it all through. It flew great for me on an F35-5 in an AT 24/60 case. Went with bigger chutes all around. Sits on my desk as a show piece. Already pre-ordered another from Hobbylinc.com. Still showing back-ordered there. I'm looking to customize a stuffer tube arrangement for 29mm motors.

After reading through those instructions... F--- me. I know I'm getting one at some point and that is going to take me quite a while. Over-the-winter build perhaps?

I'd be interested in seeing what modifications would be beneficial. Upgrade to 29mm mount perhaps? What needs to be strengthened to handle a G?

Now that I think of it, waiting until October might have been a wise marketing decision as that's the earliest that people start shopping for Christmas presents. Build up stock during July-August-Sep. so that they don't run out during the Holidays.

I built one of these things, a #2001 kit, when I was something like 11 or 12. Don't think of it as one really complicated build - just view it as a lot of easy steps that eventually come together to make a damn fine looking rocket. I'll probably modify my next one for 29mm, but will keep the average impulse on the lower side. No G80s or H165Rs in this one for me. Other than that, just a little extra nose weight and it should be fine.

The Estes SATURN V is listed on the Estes website, moved to the "What's New" listings.

Can anyone confirm that the rumored new injection-molded fins became a reality? The instruction sheet posted elsewhere in this thread appears to be from an earlier release, and makes no reference to the new parts.

James

James,

Yes there are new injection molded fins in this release of the kit.

John Boren

Dang nabbit! I have a HUGE pile of unbuilt rockets waiting - straight builds, scratch builds, mods...and now this!? Oh well, it's only money - my kids can put the backlog on Ebay after I'm gone :rolleyes:

Page 12

I never could figure out how far in or out of the fairings those fins should be positioned?
I'm sure maybe I'm missing something.
They (fins) have no marks or stops on them to dictate where they should be positioned.

Last edited:
The root edge of the fin glues to the main body tube. The vacuum formed fairing simply slides over the fin, stops when it makes contact with the body, so there is no need for a position mark or anything else.

John Boren

In related news, SaturnV the forum member is back too, going by the name of "Foff".:facepalm:

I predict that name in particular and that user in general is not going to be around long......

Saturn V wise, I am finally going to get one. Never got around to getting any of the previous iterations of the Estes Saturn V.

Can anyone confirm that the rumored new injection-molded fins became a reality? The instruction sheet posted elsewhere in this thread appears to be from an earlier release, and makes no reference to the new parts.

James

Confirmed...and here they are.....

003.JPG

I know you guys are smart enough to figure this out when building the Saturn V but we supplied the shorter 24mm D size yellow spacer tube instead of the longer 24mm E size spacer tube. This tube is used to place the engine block in the correct location. We will correct this in future pack outs of the kit.

John Boren

Confirmed...and here they are.....

Question for John Boren: any word on the new fin set being made available for purchase as a separate item for those of us with a backlog of previous-generation Saturn V kits?

James

Purchase of separate fin sets is being worked on. Not sure when it is going to happen but it most likely will happen by year end.

John Boren

I got mine last weekend as a birthday gift. Just got around to opening and drooling on it tonight. I've never attempted a skill level 4 build, so I'm hoping someone does a build thread so I can follow along. Any takers? ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476586914.810051.jpg

I think you're in it. My #2157 kit has been sitting for a year now - since they're available again, I might have to crack it open after I finish my Black Brant.

I think you're in it. My #2157 kit has been sitting for a year now - since they're available again, I might have to crack it open after I finish my Black Brant.

I already have a few kits already in the works, so I won't be starting this anytime soon. Just hoping someone else does so I can learn a few things. I'd hate to screw mine up with such a large audience. Lol

Latest posts

Back