Estes Saturn V aftermarket add ons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I am considering starting on my Estes Saturn V. I know I've seen refferences to various aftermarket mods but paid little attention at the time.

Anyone have any advice to offer?

I'd like to do a 5x cluster and make it as nice as possible.

What do y'all recommend?

The resin capsule and fin sets from Moldin the oldies is great. I used them on mine and like them a lot. I think Sirius is selling them now. I used a Fliskits 4x13mm, 1x24mm on mine. I would use Jims 4x18mm 1x24mm mount.

Is yours the 2157 30th anniversary kit? The plastic wraps can be a pain. I used the 3M spray, but had to seal the ends with CA to keep them down.

I like the kit, I think it's actually a well done kit. It will fly on a single D-12, but pay attention to weight.

Good luck. I chronicled my build at the old TRF and hear at the new TRF.

Fred, Verna, and others are a good source of info.

There are estes upgrade kits on the left :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Uh....What is the BT size on the Sat V? Mine is not here at the house or I would go out and look.

The resin capsule and fin sets from Moldin the oldies is great. I used them on mine and like them a lot. I think Sirius is selling them now. I used a Fliskits 4x13mm, 1x24mm on mine. I would use Jims 4x18mm 1x24mm mount.

Is yours the 2157 30th anniversary kit? The plastic wraps can be a pain. I used the 3M spray, but had to seal the ends with CA to keep them down.

I like the kit, I think it's actually a well done kit. It will fly on a single D-12, but pay attention to weight.

Good luck. I chronicled my build at the old TRF and hear at the new TRF.

Fred, Verna, and others are a good source of info.

Yes mine is the aniversary kit. I got it from the LHS when I got back into rocketry and it has been sitting and waiting for me ever since.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Uh....What is the BT size on the Sat V? Mine is not here at the house or I would go out and look.

It's a BT-101
3.896" ID, 3.938" OD & 0.021 wall thickness.

I used a True Modeler's 3x24mm motor mount in my Estes #2001 Saturn V, it comes with a good sized stuffer tube.

Mark & Scott are good people to work with as I had a question about how much weight to add.

Jim :2:

It's a BT-101
3.896" ID, 3.938" OD & 0.021 wall thickness.

I used a True Modeler's 3x24mm motor mount in my Estes #2001 Saturn V, it comes with a good sized stuffer tube.

Mark & Scott are good people to work with as I had a question about how much weight to add.

Jim :2:

Thanks for the info.

If its a BT101, is there a 5x24mm motor mount out there somewhere?

Nice, thanks you for the link. (Gotta remember to turn the volume on my speakers down next time I look at it though :))

I like what I see from Comonwealth but have never bought there. That sound that comes up and bites you when least expecting is probably the biggest reason I seldom visit the site. Its not a reason not to buy and doesn't make me mad or anything, I just don't care for it personally.

Hi John Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack carries Cygnus mmt for bt-101. It is a 24mm+4x18mm. Ted

Back