Estes Saturn V #1969 - stuffer tube length/parachute space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi forum

I am about to start building that kit, but with some modifications, e.g. the 29 mm retainer option of the Skylab version.

Question now is:
I think too remember having read somewhere that the space for the three chutes is quite limited (especially as I intend to go for the Apogee chutes).
Internal carbon fibre LL is also on the list.
Wouldn’t it hence make sense to cut the stuffer tube some 3 to 4 cm short to generate more space for the parachute compartment?

Would be an easy fix, or am I missing something?

Very much appreciate any input 😀

I thought the same thing too. Ended up Not cutting the stuffer tube - left stock. I ditched the teabag, rubber band, and plastic parachute for 300# kevlar attached to engine tube, braided elastic and maybe 1 - 36" parachute - not sure yet?

I have cut the engine tube before - quite easy to do w new blade! The cut end can go toward the front to cover any defects.

The 29mm upgrade will work great!

Good luck

I thought the same thing too. Ended up Not cutting the stuffer tube - left stock. I ditched the teabag, rubber band, and plastic parachute for 300# kevlar attached to engine tube, braided elastic and maybe 1 - 36" parachute - not sure yet?

I have cut the engine tube before - quite easy to do w new blade! The cut end can go toward the front to cover any defects.

The 29mm upgrade will work great!

Good luck
Thanks for the input! For cutting the tube I recently already made my own tool as I anyway need to cut the sourced 80 cm long 29 mm tube to size (whatever it will be at the end).

1CCCB021-01D5-4CF8-AE6B-1B39519E4A7B.jpeg50079E58-0FCA-424F-BD71-2772C270E3B5.jpegB3F3E912-4D56-42B5-A4B2-023D501ABD00.jpeg

My cut:

9FE8B716-0EC5-4D22-93EA-B1F043F75894.jpeg
Manufacturer‘s cut:
31080A64-6EBE-4C0E-9C5C-76FA8E1D547A.jpeg

Also thanks for making me re-think the shock-cord solution.
The teabags don’t seem suitable for such a model!

Last edited:
I built mine stock and honestly don't think the teabags are a problem, nor have I ever felt the need to fly mine on 29mm motors, YMMV. I did find that the chute volume was a little tight, but I'd be careful about making it a lot larger for fear of not getting the chutes out.

FWIW, I have a review at https://www.rocketreviews.com/saturn-v-3502.html

I built mine stock and honestly don't think the teabags are a problem, nor have I ever felt the need to fly mine on 29mm motors, YMMV. I did find that the chute volume was a little tight, but I'd be careful about making it a lot larger for fear of not getting the chutes out.

FWIW, I have a review at https://www.rocketreviews.com/saturn-v-3502.html
Thanks for the additional hint!
Well, point is the motor supply here😀
24 mm are only a few Estes imports and clustering 18 mm is not how I would like to approach the Saturn V.
And 29 mm seems to become available here in an easy way, hence…
Surely will look at your review and have the deployment topic in mind.

24 mm are only a few Estes imports and clustering 18 mm is not how I would like to approach the Saturn V.
And 29 mm seems to become available here in an easy way, hence…
Which motors can you easily get? I've flown mine pretty much exclusively on Aerotech E20s but the AT/Quest motors like D22 and E26 would work well also, but I'm not sure if any of those are available in Europe.

Which motors can you easily get? I've flown mine pretty much exclusively on Aerotech E20s but the AT/Quest motors like D22 and E26 would work well also, but I'm not sure if any of those are available in Europe.
Sorry, took me a while to come back as researching on possible supplies is not too easey.
As I look for singel use only, that also limits the options. Generally speaking some Cesaroni and AT seem to be available as reloads with some coordination and a drive of some hundret kilometers, Estes not at all.
In particular the AT F20-7W Econojet I could get, which surly is too long in delay. The 4 seconds delay does not seem to be available at the moment.

Potentially there might become an easy to source option available, but the motors are not yet approved by the authorities, homologation process and all what comes with it might take another year or two.
Once this is overcome the plan is for a E9 and F9 as long-burners and an E22 and F22, each with several different delays.
These are actaully the options that I am looking forward to.

Else only other option would be a clustered Klima D9 (which is not my first preference with the Saturn).

Sorry, took me a while to come back as researching on possible supplies is not too easey.
As I look for singel use only, that also limits the options. Generally speaking some Cesaroni and AT seem to be available as reloads with some coordination and a drive of some hundret kilometers, Estes not at all.
In particular the AT F20-7W Econojet I could get, which surly is too long in delay. The 4 seconds delay does not seem to be available at the moment.

Potentially there might become an easy to source option available, but the motors are not yet approved by the authorities, homologation process and all what comes with it might take another year or two.
Once this is overcome the plan is for a E9 and F9 as long-burners and an E22 and F22, each with several different delays.
These are actaully the options that I am looking forward to.

Else only other option would be a clustered Klima D9 (which is not my first preference with the Saturn).
Install an altimeter and use it for deployment . . .

Dave F.

Sadly not at all, not even thinking of it - happy to have some minutes to spend with the forum.
But I got to know that the above indicated E- and F- motors might finally become available around here this or next year..
But the Saturn as such might well stay on the stack to be build.

Back