Estes Saturn 1B: Build Tips and Advice Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Jimmy.....wow. I am now better prepared for my second try at this kit! I also can't wait to fly mine! Great job!
Andrew

Thanks Andrew! Yeah this is one honey of a model kit. It’s so cool that I’m getting another one. The second build will be the AS-206 per the directions. Flying it will be awesome!

Well...tomorrow is the big day. Blues skies and almost dead calm winds. My Sat1B is going to be launched for the first time!
I am thinking F12, E12, or E18. Thoughts?

Andrew

Well...tomorrow is the big day. Blues skies and almost dead calm winds. My Sat1B is going to be launched for the first time!
I am thinking F12, E12, or E18. Thoughts?
Would be great to be there to see it!!! Which engine? Hmmm. How much open area is at the launch site?
Andrew

No surprises on the rest of the build. Antennae and launch lugs glued in place. Parachutes rigged and stowed. I made a list of things that could have been done better. Lessons learned for the next one I build someday. Thanks to Estes for bringing this rocket back.

Attachments

• 55EADDB4-6365-4394-B717-613B889C251C.jpeg
    55EADDB4-6365-4394-B717-613B889C251C.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 50
  • D3BDFEC5-A245-40C6-9D66-451303DD5B7A.jpeg
    D3BDFEC5-A245-40C6-9D66-451303DD5B7A.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 53E8684D-8636-4016-A255-FA0783C023D2.jpeg
    53E8684D-8636-4016-A255-FA0783C023D2.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2C249413-E7FC-4F5D-BCC3-146016A6AFB2.jpeg
    2C249413-E7FC-4F5D-BCC3-146016A6AFB2.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 49
No surprises on the rest of the build. Antennae and launch lugs glued in place. Parachutes rigged and stowed. I made a list of things that could have been done better. Lessons learned for the next one I build someday. Thanks to Estes for bringing this rocket back.

Beautiful job Jimmy......wow well done
Andrew

Huge field.....no issues. Calling for 3mph winds! Thinking E18

I want all the details Andrew. It would be great to see! Maybe a pic or two?

Well it went! It was a near dead calm day with pure sunshine. I went to launch with WSR NAR 703. The field is nice and big!

I should have trusted my gut and went with the E12 as it was a very calm day. I have never had any problems with them but people keep talking about them blowing up. At the moment I had to choose the motor, I had visions of my new Saturn 1B blowing up before it made it off the rod!!!

I went with the RMS E18W. I should have gone with the F12 (softer thrust) or the BP E12. The launch with the E18 went well. But as it got to full speed it started to wiggle a little. I also chose this motor because I also did not want it to "lumber over" and go horizontal. I cannot stand under powered - lame flights. Also, even though I properly adjusted the delay (been doing it for years). It went long and it ejected a late. This made the nose hit and knock off a fin.

I used a very long shock cord and an oversized chute. I did this because it (the chute) makes it come down slower AND once the booster lands the bigger chute makes the nose section slow down even more before touchdown. This idea worked great and my escape tower escaped damage and landed without a scratch despite is being 20 degrees and landing on frozen ground.

I will say this kit does fly and coast well. Build light and the E12 will be plenty. I bet an F12 would also be a good option.

As you all may know this rocket is delicate. Check the ground carefully before picking it up as the fins are tiny and hard to see on the ground. Also have a nice smooth and loose rod. I was very nervous about how Estes made the lugs. If it is not going fast and straight enough, the lower lug is small/short enough to make it bind on the rod. I am thinking of a work around for the next one I make.

All in all it was a good time. I truly wish Estes would sell spare parts for this kit! It would be great to purchase another tower and most importantly FINS. As more people fly these kits, the fins will be breaking off and lost. As for now, I have to try and make one out of some bass wood and shape it properly. I have attached a photo before the flight. My video is bad.....I cant take launch videos to save my life!

IMG_3907.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to hear that it went well! That landscape looks like Indiana to me. Nice and flat. Am I close? I’m from Ohio so it looks familiar to me. Not surprised about the fin popping off. They are definitely fragile and are likely to sustain damage when hitting earth again. I’m sitting on a pack of E12-4 engines so most likely I will use that for first flight. I cut spill holes at the apex of both parachutes to prevent oscillating during descent. The idea is to reduce force when the rocket parts land. Way to go Andrew!

I found these very helpful in detailing my AS-205 / Apollo 7 Service Module. I noticed I need to make a few changes to be accurate.

Attachments

• csm101_ap7+y.png
    csm101_ap7+y.png
    65 KB · Views: 22
  • csm101_ap7+z.png
    csm101_ap7+z.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
  • csm101_ap7-y.png
    csm101_ap7-y.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
  • csm101_ap7-z.png
    csm101_ap7-z.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Very NICE!

Current Progress
Looking great! Especially the service module! Good stuff! For some reason Estes doesn’t do much with that area in terms of detail. I would like to add something more to the SM on my 1B but not sure exactly how yet. Here is a better image than the earlier post. Can’t wait to see your finished Saturn!

Attachments

• C3361D80-F996-4292-9532-6156E1154C67.jpeg
    C3361D80-F996-4292-9532-6156E1154C67.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
BSNW, have you weighed your finished 1B? With no engine mine weighs 188g on the kitchen scale. It’s something that I like to know for some basic equations.

Beautiful!!

Here are some wraps that I downloaded from Frank. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Service module SA-205.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Service_module SA-206.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 3
Well, this rocket is turning into a "warrior". I cant believe I pulled this off....I think the replacement fin turned out pretty good. After sealing and more sanding then painting, who will know? I guess I build better than I paint.....as you will see. Anyway, this proves it can be done! I used bass wood and it turned out stronger than the original fin.

I also found NO strike marks on the upper section (nose and tower). This means I lost the fin when it landed and NOT when the nose blew off (late!). It will fly again! Next time on an E12-4

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

BSNW, have you weighed your finished 1B? With no engine mine weighs 188g on the kitchen scale. It’s something that I like to know for some basic equations.

The batteries on my wife's kitchen scale are dead at the present time....sorry!!
Andrew

Nice work on fabricating a replacement fin. Did you have a template of some kind?

I just traced the adjacent fin on paper and cut it out. Then traced on some bass wood. Then cut the fin out and sanded to match.
Andrew

Well, this rocket is turning into a "warrior". I cant believe I pulled this off....I think the replacement fin turned out pretty good. After sealing and more sanding then painting, who will know? I guess I build better than I paint.....as you will see. Anyway, this proves it can be done! I used bass wood and it turned out stronger than the original fin.

I also found NO strike marks on the upper section (nose and tower). This means I lost the fin when it landed and NOT when the nose blew off (late!). It will fly again! Next time on an E12-4

View attachment 447924

View attachment 447925

View attachment 447926
nice repair work! Reminds me of the pictures of the fin replacements that they did on the pad with the real 1bs.

Back