Estes Satellite Interceptor upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
Well I have started working on the SI upscale. This is a 4X upscale. It is 4" dia and has a 54mm motor mount and will be setup for dual deployment. So far I have all the fins cut out, centering rings and bulkheads. Got all the tubes glassed with 2 layers of 6oz glass. I will start working on getting the motor tube and fins installed. Once the fins are installed I will do a layer or two of 6oz glass tip to tip. I still need to order a 5:1 conical nose cone and a motor retainer. I am still kicking around ideas on how to make the tail cone. The decals will be done by Mark at Stickershock. Here are a few pictures of things so far. I will post more as I get more done.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

The tail cone on the original was a display only piece. Just knock something together with cardstock.
:cool:Looking forward to seeing this one come alive. The SI has always been once of my favorites. I've got four or five of them flight ready at the moment, from a BT-20 downscale to a BT-60 cluster.

The tail cone on the original was a display only piece. Just knock something together with cardstock.
:cool:Looking forward to seeing this one come alive. The SI has always been once of my favorites. I've got four or five of them flight ready at the moment, from a BT-20 downscale to a BT-60 cluster.

The tailcone on this will fiberglass and will have a aeropack retainer incorperated into it. It will be on for flight.

Had a chance to do some work today. I made the tailcone. I cut a centering ring the size of the outside of the body tube and then cut a grove the size of the bottom of the cone. I made the cone out of 110# card stock and epoxied it in the groove in the ring. After it was dry I coated the card stock with zap a gap to make the cardboard stiff. After it was dry I layed 3 layers of 6 oz glass on the inside and then 3 layers of 6 oz glass on the outside. Once this dry I will trim the top and see how stiff this is. If it is not stiff enough I will put 2 or 3 layers of 18 oz glass on the inside but I do not think I will need it. The aeropack retainer will stick out past the end and should protect it from getting hit.

Picture.jpg

Had a little time this morning to work on this again. Got the motor mount assembly installed and the forward wings. I also got all the parts cut for the e-bay.

Picture 003.jpg

Looking good- I enjoyed the little Estes one as a kid. Even built the copycat S.W.A.T a few times. Should be great to see going up, looking forward to more pix.

Looking good- I enjoyed the little Estes one as a kid. Even built the copycat S.W.A.T a few times. Should be great to see going up, looking forward to more pix.

Thanks Dave. Hope to get more done tomorrow.

Got all the fins installed and some of the fillets. I need to install the pods and then I will start the T-T-T.

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Well got a package from Mark at Stickershock today. Mark did an awesome job on the decals. Now lets see if anyone can see the one change I had Mark make to the decals. I also got the ebay sled done. Plus I finished up all the fillets and got the pods mounted. Now a little prep sanding before I start all the tip to tip glassing.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

The fillets are very clean and smooth very nice job. do you tack your fins in before putting the final fillets on?

Matt

Well got a package from Mark at Stickershock today. Mark did an awesome job on the decals. Now lets see if anyone can see the one change I had Mark make to the decals. I also got the ebay sled done. Plus I finished up all the fillets and got the pods mounted. Now a little prep sanding before I start all the tip to tip glassing.

OH OH OH! I know ... LOL

Glad you like them Scott! Looking great. I guess I need to get more done on my project!

Could you please tell us what you used to make those great fillets. Please describe HOW you did it along with the what. I always have trouble making the fillet look good where the leading edge and the body tube join up. how do you do it?

Could you please tell us what you used to make those great fillets. Please describe HOW you did it along with the what. I always have trouble making the fillet look good where the leading edge and the body tube join up. how do you do it?

I will do you one better. I have another rocket that I need to do the fillets on. I will video the process and post it on our site. Give me a couple days to finish up the glassing I am working now and I will get this done.

Last edited:
Got the one side of the wings glassed tonight. The wings will have one layer of 6 oz glass on them and the rest will get one layer of 8 oz and one layer of 6 oz glass.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Quick question: When you glass each side of the fins, how do you finish and seal the edges/tapers and still get a sharp leading edge?

When I taper my fins I do not take them to a razor edge. I leave a 32nd to 16th of a edge. On this rocket since it will not be going anywhere near mach I just trim the glass to edge of the fin. If this was going close to mach or better I seal the ends with glass. After both side are glassed I take some .75 or 1.5 oz glass about 3" wide folded in half and cover the ends.

Quick question: When you glass each side of the fins, how do you finish and seal the edges/tapers and still get a sharp leading edge?

I have a trick that works pretty good in some situations.

Go to the hardware store, and get a roll of aluminum tape. it seriously is ALuminum! its used for air conditioning ducts. and it is sticky as all get out.

after I fiberglass the fins, I cut a strip about 2" wide and run it along the leading edge, folded over the glass, that way air cannot get under the glass.

It is pretty thin (you will see it but its not that bad) and it takes paint really well. I have done this on a few rockets and really like the results.

Scott, you are way ahead of my build. I guess I better lock myself in the shop tomorrow! I have TWO big complicated projects to complete for LDRS!

It's looking great!

Scott, you are way ahead of my build. I guess I better lock myself in the shop tomorrow! I have TWO big complicated projects to complete for LDRS!

It's looking great!

What is this? Complicated? What are you cookin up Mark?

I have a trick that works pretty good in some situations.

Go to the hardware store, and get a roll of aluminum tape. it seriously is ALuminum! its used for air conditioning ducts. and it is sticky as all get out.

after I fiberglass the fins, I cut a strip about 2" wide and run it along the leading edge, folded over the glass, that way air cannot get under the glass.

It is pretty thin (you will see it but its not that bad) and it takes paint really well. I have done this on a few rockets and really like the results.

It's looking great!

Mark,
This project is soon to the point of being put on hold since I have to wait for the weather to get warm to use my spray booth called good old outdoors....:D I have 6 projects sitting here waiting for primer and paint.

Been there, done that. That's what I'm using now.

You're right, it does stick well. I used it on the leading edges, but it gets knicked up every flight/trip to the field. I also used it for horizontal stripes.

What is this? Complicated? What are you cookin up Mark?

Ok simple for you, complicated for me LOL

I am working on the Aries, and I am working on a 12" Mercury little Joe, with 4 54mm canted motors.. all for LDRS.

Ken the weather out here is cold but nice. pack up your rockets, come over here we can paint together.... I mean you can paint my rockets while I watch you the professional do it LOL

Got all the filling done on the booster. Got the ebay attached to the upper tube. Now I just need to order the nose cone and wait for a warm day to put some primer on this thing.

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Back