Estes-Sasha = A great kit

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by BSNW, Feb 13, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2020 #1

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Hey all-

I elected to not do a build thread on this (I did the Estes Shuttle instead). I sometimes have 2 to 3 build going on at one time, and in one stage or another. I was building this and got it to the point where it all came together for the first time and I was impressed with this kit.

This thread to to simply say that this kit is one BEAST of a model rocket and I would totally recommend picking one of these up. I am just going to post a few photos to show how cool this kit is as there are other build threads on this kit.

IMO....Build LIGHT! I had an Estes Extreme 12 that was a tad heavy and leaned into to wind a lot in the 2 stage configuration. This kit is shorter but I learned my lesson to launch in light wind and or with the wind a bit. I just hope the "antenna thingies" on the fins dont catch shock cords at deployment. I also elected to not round down the "streaks" that go on the body tube. I personally like them "un-rounded" I think it will look sharp after painting etc.

Anyway, IMO...Estes has a real winner here! Nice bang for your buck...If only I can find E12-0's.

Photos below.
    Andrew

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Feb 13, 2020 #2

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Here are some photos....I will post the finished product when complete. Just a heads up.....There is NO way in HE@! I am going to paint a high altitude rocket...that is launched in the Summer in Ohio.....the color GREEN. I did that once on another rocket and even though I saw it land....I never found it in all the tall GREEN grass!

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. Feb 13, 2020 #3

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

4. Feb 14, 2020 #4

KILTED COWBOY

KILTED COWBOY

KILTED COWBOY

This one is one my build list also

5. Feb 14, 2020 #5

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Very nice job, looking great!

Kind of reminds me of the Centuri SAM-3 (24mm Booster, 18mm sustainer)
    https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centuri/cen5355/cen5355.htm

I lost the sustainer on a D to C launch. I got the booster back though. Bad idea to paint one of those in camo.

The new Estes 2020 Catalog has lots of good multi-stage goodness, from 13mm, 18mm, 24mm, up to 29mm!

6. Feb 15, 2020 at 3:13 AM #6

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

For those of you who thought I was NUTS for NOT rounding out the streaks on the body tube......you were absolutely CORRECT!!!!

I DID end up rounding them out nicely and it does look much better.....call it a "lapse in judgment"....

Will post some pictures later on....

Andrew