Estes Rubicon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comet79

Reaction score
I don't know why :) but I decided to build some of the X Prize models by Estes and the D-powered Rubicon is my first one. Wow, this rocket is cool and big!! Here are some pictures...

rubicon 001.jpg

rubicon 002.jpg

Cool!:cool: I have a couple of Rubi's in the Kit Cabinet..I am thinking of modding the external tubes to take 13mm plugged motors! THAT would be cool to see!:D

Yours looks nice!

Cool!:cool: I have a couple of Rubi's in the Kit Cabinet..I am thinking of modding the external tubes to take 13mm plugged motors! THAT would be cool to see!:D

Yours looks nice!

Is that a cabinet where you keep kits or the actual Kit(chen) cabinet? Or both?

Rocket kits in the kitchen. Sheesh.

Are you single or what?:D

Is that a cabinet where you keep kits or the actual Kit(chen) cabinet? Or both?

Rocket kits in the kitchen. Sheesh.

Are you single or what?:D

LMBO! Well, kind of both! It is an old KITchen cabinet in the rocket den/converted garage..And YES I DO have rockets in the kitchen! :D It is where all my HPR rockets go! Gotta feed 'em well!;)

And, yeah, I be single!

Kit Cabinet.jpg

Unless I've totally forgotten about it, I never did buy a Rubicon when they were easy to find. So now that they've been discontinued, I hope one will show up on clearance some time soon at one of the Hobby Lobbies I visit.

Thas a great looking Rubicon and it looks just as great going up :)
Cheers
fred

I flew my new Rubicon last month on a E28-4, awesome flight. It would also fly great on the E18-4. Both motors are a big improvement over the D12 or E9's. The only modification was to use three fins, and the paint scheme used on the only, unsuccessful, test flight on the real Rubicon. The three fin configuration produced a very stable boost, it's a great flyer.

EstesRubiconFirstFlight_32209.jpg

My son had a Rubicon (but since he's basically "quit" the hobby, it's mine now :D). It's really a great kit and a nice flyer. In fact, at many of the
NAR Sanctioned Regional meets in our area over the years, the Rubicon has
been a very popular entry for Future Scale/Science Fiction event. Flies great
on the D12 & E9.

My Rubicon is one of my earlier efforts. It has been a dependable flyer and I launched it a few time of E15s. The one problem I have is the fins keep popping on landing. I think I've tried every known adhesive and still they pop. The nozzles do to a lesser extent.

BTW, yours looks much better than mine!

My Rubicon is one of my earlier efforts. It has been a dependable flyer and I launched it a few time of E15s. The one problem I have is the fins keep popping on landing. I think I've tried every known adhesive and still they pop. The nozzles do to a lesser extent.

BTW, yours looks much better than mine!

I've had the same issue, it's now just part of its nominal refurb between flights.

I strictly use E18's and love that white lightning flame with it. I made mine look more like a Saturn.

Rubicon Flight-2.png

Rubicon Flight-1.png

Rubicon.jpg

Last edited:
I've had the same issue, it's now just part of its nominal refurb between flights.

I strictly use E18's and love that white lightning flame with it. I made mine look more like a Saturn.

Cool!! Looks almost like a Saturn - 1!

I don't know why :) but I decided to build some of the X Prize models by Estes and the D-powered Rubicon is my first one. Wow, this rocket is cool and big!! Here are some pictures...

Awesome paint job!!! watch out for missing fins.

Pantherjon said:
Cool! I have a couple of Rubi's in the Kit Cabinet..I am thinking of modding the external tubes to take 13mm plugged motors! THAT would be cool to see!

Yours looks nice!

I can't wait to see that 7 motor cluster!!!

dwmzmm said:
Cool!! Looks almost like a Saturn - 1!

Thanks, that was my hope, some don't even know its a Rubicon when I put it out on the pad.

Last edited:
Thanks Delta! Yours also looks great! How did you make the decals?

I actually use Microsoft Powerpoint to draw the things and paste in logos, flags, etc. that I download off the web. I then print out the wraps using 8.5 X 11 sticker paper that you can buy at Staples, etc.

I have had very good luck doing them on my Delta IV's as well.

I like the Rubicon too, i guess since it has the Saturn 1b look to it.

The fins and sometime the nozzles pop on landing, but it always at the glue joint and glues back on fine.

I like the Rubicon too, i guess since it has the Saturn 1b look to it.

The fins and sometime the nozzles pop on landing, but it always at the glue joint and glues back on fine.

Nice pictures and rocket. I agree about the fin popping issue :)
Cheers
fred

I have about 8 flights on mine with no damage. I used thick CA for the fins and nozzles. But during the build I used epoxy and everything came off with barely a twist.

I've been wanting to show this off for a while. I'm a big fan of this kit (not so much the fins tho)

Rubicon-John-Bishop-D12-5-A.jpg

I agree, that is a really nice take on a scheme for your Rubicon. Great job!! :santa-smile:

More photos of this Rubicon have been found in an old camera.

DSC03677.JPG

DSC03681.JPG

DSC03676.JPG

Please note there is no safety key in that launch controller.

Has anyone tried to fly one of these on a 24mm composite? I was considering an E15? I see some records on EMRR with slightly more powerful engines, but was curious if the engine bells would hold up under the exhaust heat.

Has anyone tried to fly one of these on a 24mm composite? I was considering an E15? I see some records on EMRR with slightly more powerful engines, but was curious if the engine bells would hold up under the exhaust heat.

I've used an E30. The bells didn't melt. They just pop off like with all the other motors.

Unless I've totally forgotten about it, I never did buy a Rubicon when they were easy to find. So now that they've been discontinued, I hope one will show up on clearance some time soon at one of the Hobby Lobbies I visit.
Every now and then I will auction a Rubicon on eBay. My eBay id is bellevuehobby. If you don't like auctions I can do a private sale.

Regards,

Rich

Last edited:
Back