Estes Rubicon Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starfire73 I LOVE this rocket too! I cant believe I saw a thread on such an old, obscure kit! I have one remaining kit left and someday I will build it. But for now....I just like to look at the unopened bag. Ihope you solved you painting issues.

They are glorious on the RMS F12-5J. I like the silver fins but I like the red fins Estes called for better. One guy at a launch years ago said the kit was a "big-little rocket". If you have a kit, sand the glue joints with 220 - both sides and tape them off and paint everything before gluing. I used CA on all the fins and NEVER has one come off. ALSO, cut out a disc of aluminum foil that fits perfectly in the body tube. Place some wadding in the motor tube then place the disc in the airframe flat against the motor tube. Then pack your chute. It will work every time with NO burning of your cord or chute. Oh man I wish Estes would release this kit again just so I can get like 5 of them! It has such an unusual design.

There was some entity awhile back that made upscale kits that flew on K motors, but that is beside the point....just a brain fart I wanted to share.

Does anyone still have this kit? If so please share your photos!!

Andrew

Starfire73 I LOVE this rocket too! I cant believe I saw a thread on such an old, obscure kit! I have one remaining kit left and someday I will build it. But for now....I just like to look at the unopened bag. Ihope you solved you painting issues.

They are glorious on the RMS F12-5J. I like the silver fins but I like the red fins Estes called for better. One guy at a launch years ago said the kit was a "big-little rocket". If you have a kit, sand the glue joints with 220 - both sides and tape them off and paint everything before gluing. I used CA on all the fins and NEVER has one come off. ALSO, cut out a disc of aluminum foil that fits perfectly in the body tube. Place some wadding in the motor tube then place the disc in the airframe flat against the motor tube. Then pack your chute. It will work every time with NO burning of your cord or chute. Oh man I wish Estes would release this kit again just so I can get like 5 of them! It has such an unusual design.

There was some entity awhile back that made upscale kits that flew on K motors, but that is beside the point....just a brain fart I wanted to share.

Does anyone still have this kit? If so please share your photos!!

Andrew
Good idea on the aluminum foil. You don't have any pics of that do you?

Good idea on the aluminum foil. You don't have any pics of that do you?

Nope....Sorry this was years ago. All I did was place the body tube of the rocket (turned it upside-down on the foil), and traced it. I then cut it out. The discs were GREAT in protecting the chute and shock cord. It was a simple little blast shield for this kit. Dont forget to put a little wadding down the motor tube before placing the disc in. The foil discs give you more room for packing. I really wish I still had that rocket.....I think I gave it away....or crashed it....cant remember. But I LOVED it!! .... did I mention that HA!

KEEP IT....fly it...and NEVER give it up....what a fun little-Big rocket!
Peace
Andrew

BTW and FYI....if anyone has a Rubicon kit they are willing to sell, please PM me.

It was a few years ago now when I bought mine and Hobby Lobby had put a few rockets on clearance for their new season product change over - the Rubicon was one of them! It was a no brainer. I was like a kid on Christmas morning!! I’m like heck yeah!!!

That Rubicon looks awesome! It inspired me on a paint scheme I’ve been trying to think of for the LOC EZI-65 I’m building right now. I may go that (NASA) direction with it.

Latest posts

Back