Estes "Rocket Pocket Card"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While looking through my collection of face cards, I noticed this in the lower right hand corner of my Astron Elliptic II:
dv3sfYXSTT2GE8eqEwhrwA_thumb_1219f.jpg
As a quick reference for recommended motors, that's actually kind of neat. But it's my only Estes kit (out of seven) that has it. Did Estes go through a period where they put this on all their face cards, or just the two-stagers, or what exactly? Seems like it was a good idea, wondering why they didn't do it with all their kits.

Anyone know the scoop?

yeah, i remember a few kits having this.. I thought it a great idea too, and "collectable": they are about the same size as a baseball card..

Sadly, though, they only seemed to last a few years..

I don't recall this but it seems like a great idea. I'd totally cut em out and put them in some MTG style sleeves and put them in my flight kit or a binder. Especially to put together a 'deck' for flight day.

I guess there was a period of time when they put those on all their kits in production, but stopped doing so many years ago.
Went through my vintage bagged kits and found these:
0504211028[1].jpg0504211029[1].jpg0504211029a[1].jpg0504211030[1].jpg0504211030a[1].jpg0504211031[1].jpg0504211031a[1].jpg0504211032[1].jpg0504211032a[1].jpg

Some say Rocket Pocket Card, some don't.
For the Estes vintage kits I've built, I recollect seeing many of those but I don't keep the face card once I've painted and decalled the kit. And I've never cut out the card, always use the instructions for motor reference.
Laters.

They are on the sides of boxes of RTFs from a certain period as well: HiJinks, SkyTrax, Rascal, earlier two versions of the Athena RTF (including the one where the box art showed something that looked like a Taser, even though the model inside is a stretched HiJinks and is a first cousin to an Alpha III).

Centuri used to have metallic stickers in some kits called Spec Plates with the recommended engines. I was able to clone these by printing waterslide decals and applying them over metallic Trim Monocote. Here's an example of the Screaming Eagle, and my up-scale kit bash from an Estes Prowler.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.43.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.43.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.59.05 PM.png

Last edited:
I really like those @GlenP. I have been using a spreadsheet that I can access on my phone to contain all that info, but a small spec plate would be awesome. A made some replicas in powerpoint/google slides if anyone is interested: SpecPlates. I didn't add Centuri's logo just in case that might cause some trademark issues. These surely are sized a little big, so keep that in mind.

I've never seen them, or perhaps just never noticed them. I like the idea. And, like GlenP did, one certainly could make one's own. Design them with the software of your choice and print them on card stock. One could also write down flight results on the back.

I remember having a few of these but I found that they generally didn't apply to my rockets as I tend to build a little on the heavy side. Once I discovered Open Rocket, I would Sim my finished rockets and get far more accurate information. Typically take my laptop with me to the field but on occasion I'll just print off the SIM files for the rockets I'm flying that day and take them with me.

I remember having a few of these but I found that they generally didn't apply to my rockets as I tend to build a little on the heavy side. Once I discovered Open Rocket, I would Sim my finished rockets and get far more accurate information. Typically take my laptop with me to the field but on occasion I'll just print off the SIM files for the rockets I'm flying that day and take them with me.
I'm pretty enthusiastic about Airtable app for this: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...acking-app-as-implemented-in-airtable.165212/

@Budro0 has also done some nice work in this area: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/memento-db-better-than-a-notebook.165299/

Back