Estes Renegade, First Look

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose_in_co

Reaction score
Ok, I opened it up and WOW! is it a parts Bonanza!!!
It has 7 nose cones!!

The booster has side pods that are just begging for a cluster...

My mind was just spinning looking at all of the parts.

Slight description:

Sustainer: Cockpit Nose cone, 3 fins, Bt-60 BT-20 Engine mount, wad of clay.

Booster: Bt-50 side pods and nose cones (2)
Four Bt-5 long nose cones
Bt-20 Engine Mount

Booster Seperation Picture:

The Parts, Sorry, the resolution is low so that it fits the upload limit.

Now this is a closeup of the instructions for the booster.

I hope that this gives you an idea of what it looks like, since the pictures do not show the details very well.

My dreams are filled with clustered boosters....:D :D

SWEET!

Jason

Great job getting the info posted for us all Goose, looks like alot of rocketeers will be licking their lips for this one...not me, I just want one:D I don't think I need one just yet, but I definetly want one NOW!

It's 18mm to 18mm.

Since the main tube is BT-60, that will hold 3 18mm???
the side tubes are Bt-50 so theoretically it could be a
3x 24mm booster and 24mm sustainer.... You would need
a Lot of nose weight.:D

Thanks for shareing the pics of the kit, Goose. It looks like Estes have really got their act together with this kit. I'm intrigued to see what the future holds, Brand-E kit-wise.

Keep the pics comming, Goose ...... :D

I just picked up my Renegade today (thanks Goose!). That and a Quest Super Cruiser. There were plenty of other kits I wanted, but I have put a big enough dent in my credit card this month!

The renegade is GREAT! This is a heck of a lot of parts for the money! At a fraction of the cost of a designers special, this kit has almost as many nose cones....

If keeps putting out kits with this kind of a unique flavor and imagination, they might just win back the heart of those of us who pass by their 3FNC boring kits at the hobby store...

Just got my Renegade. The internet pictures DO NOT do it justice! - Its even better in real life! :cool:

The sustainer is the size of a Big Bertha, so it looks like it'll be a low flying 2-stager. Great for those of us with smaller fields. :D

It looks like it could be very easily modified for 24mm engines, provided the fins & pods are reinforced. I'm going with 18mm, as my launch field isn't the largest.

Looks like Hobbicronium ;) might have a minor classic kit here.

Dan, did you get it within the UK or have it sent from the states?

Originally posted by Mike
Dan, did you get it within the UK or have it sent from the states?
I got it from the States, from Hobbylinc. It cost $22.44 (inc. postage), which is about 13-14 quid.

Hobbylinc doesn't take Switch or PayPal, so you'll need a proper credit card (Access, Barclaycard, etc) .... or access to a parent's one! ;)

I'm very pleased with the service from Hobblinc, and shall be returning there to get the stuff Deepsky doesn't stock.

Originally posted by Goose_in_CO
It's 18mm to 18mm.

Since the main tube is BT-60, that will hold 3 18mm???
the side tubes are Bt-50 so theoretically it could be a
3x 24mm booster and 24mm sustainer.... You would need
a Lot of nose weight.:D

Yes it will hold 3-18mm motors. I am already drooling over the thought of 3-18mm and 2-24mm booster and a 3-18mm sustainer. Of course, it would probably be good for only one flight then it will be out of sight.

as it boosts under the power of five motors, going supersonic only inches off the end of the launch rod, showering the area with splintered balsa 'calling cards' before it heads for Mars!

Originally posted by Zak Orion
Yes it will hold 3-18mm motors. I am already drooling over the thought of 3-18mm and 2-24mm booster and a 3-18mm sustainer. Of course, it would probably be good for only one flight then it will be out of sight.

Originally posted by powderburner
as it boosts under the power of five motors, going supersonic only inches off the end of the launch rod, showering the area with splintered balsa 'calling cards' before it heads for Mars!

That would be really cool, now that we have the ability to photograph its landing when it get there. :)

Just got the fins stuck onto the booster stage. Theres still all the pods to go on, but this photo should give you an idea of the coolness of this booster!

:D

Hey gang-

Are you planning on reinforcing the pods in any way? To me they look like a weak spot.... I was thinking of putting a wrap of very light glass over them to help them stay on. Has anyone had problems with them popping off when the stage recovers?

I'm still building mine, and haven't got to attaching the pods yet. I have been wondering just how secure the find pods are going to be. They look like one wrong landing, and they're a gonna! :eek:

I have contemplated reinforcing them by glassing them, but building up strong fillets with Plastic Cement would be alot easier, and may be man enough for the job.

Any other thoughts?

BTW Todd. I like you're sig: "Never mind the physics, it's Punk Rocket Science!" Would make a great T-Shirt design! :D

Thanks, Astron & Cyder...

Punk Rocket Science is the team name my build team and I used for a "Junkyard Wars" build contest at one our local launches. Get a garbage bag of weird, random stuff and turn it into an G powered, spot-landing egglofter in less than 3 hours... Great fun.

Nice to see that someone got the Sex Pistols joke as well. I've finally added our logo as an avatar, but at 50x50 rez, the hypno glasses don't come out really clearly....

For X-mas, I got everyone on the team a Renegade, just to see what variations come out of it. I'm building my stock motor configuration, but everyone else has wild, cluster schemes going...

Originally posted by astronboy
Do you mean like this:
YEP! :D

The UK version of the album had differant colours (eg. bright yellow background - see here), but that was the t-shirt design I was thinking of. Hmmm ...... time to get some T-Shirt transfer paper.

Nice one, astron, that saved me having to re-colour it. :D

I've got both versions of the album too. I brought the American one first, off a mate at school, in about '81. That got played to death, and I replaced it with a UK version I found in Oxfam, a few years later. I made sure I taped it the second time. ;)

All this talk about Punk Rockets has given me some thoughts ... but thats for another thread.

Back on topic: I'm just doing another round of fillets on the booster section of my Renegade. I'm gonna give them a couple of hours to dry; then, after another round of fillets, I'll be putting the booster and fin pods on. I think I'm gonna go with the big Plastic Cement fillets method of keeping the fin pods on, for simplicity, and see how it goes. Everyone here will be the first to hear if they DO come off, after a bad landing!

Hopefully I'll be posting a pic of the booster & sustainer assembled, tonight. :cool:

As promised, assembled Renegade pics:

First the Renegade next to my Big Bertha (for scale) ....

.... and second, the Renegade from the side, to give an idea of the fin configuration.

BTW: the 'Booster Pods' are only stuck on with Blu-Tac, for now. I'm gonna do the sand/seal thing with the fins, before attaching the Pods perminantly.

Thanks Cyber... That pic w/the BB really gives a good idea of scale. I did not think that this kit was this big.

Just curious... You know "ESTES" had released an earlier rocket called "RENEGADE"... A large sturdy thing I remember...I wonder why the name swap???
Both are really cool...but this will certainly stop any re-release of the first one (at least under the same name)...
Fly high and have fun...!!!

Back