Estes Renegade finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
Just finished putting the decals on my Estes Renegade. This is a pretty cool rocket. Fun to build, good instructions, loadsabits, and a decent shock cord! :eek: ;)

The fin pods, on the lower section look a tiny bit fragile, and I don't think they'll take a bad landing on a hard surface - but we'll have to wait and see.

There is one modification I would advise all future builders of this model to do. The two stages fitted perfectly together, unpainted; BUT the extra width added by the paint, has made the stage coupling VERY tight. I'm gonna have to do some careful sanding, and touch-up with a black marker pen. Therefore I would surgest putting the 'booster' pods, on the side of the lower stage, on with a small piece of balsa between them and the main BT, to act as a stand off.

Now pics. This is one hard bird to photograph, being so 'black'. Its no wonder the publicity photos Estes have put out, have not done this rocket justice. I've been fiddling with the settings on my digicam, and have managed to get these two.

First, the whole bird.

She's a real beauty cydermaster! I like the regional touch in the background there too! :D Let us know how she flies! I know I'll be looking forward to the flight report! :)

Originally posted by TheRadiator
She's a real beauty cydermaster! I like the regional touch in the background there too!
Thanks, the 'regional touch' was the coolest way I could get a white background behind the rocket, to try an help make the photos clearer. On the launch pad, in the middle of a field, might make a better photo. I'll try taking some, out in the yard at the back of my flats, tomorrow. If they're any cop, I'll post them.

Hats off to Estes for this bird, with the exception of the above mentioned problem with the paint making the separation of the stages 'sticky', this is one very nice bird. I'm looking forward to being able to fly this rocket; its basically a Big Bertha with a booster, so I'm expecting some spectacular flights! :D

I put the stickers on my Renegade last night. I won't bother posting a picture because it looks just like Cydermaster's!!

two mistakes in the build:

- I should have separately painted the nose cones and little tubes for the outboard fin pods, before I glued them on. that would have saved a couple steps of masking and touch-ups.

- I glued the outboard fins on "backwards", angled backwards not forwards! I didn't notice until it was time to glue the pods on and the only way they would fit was facing backwards. grrr. looking again at the picture on the card and the pictures of the fins in the instructions I can see how that happened.

having already painted the coupler on a 2-stager before I knew to mask it off before painting. to be fair to Estes though, the instructions do say to mask off the coupler.

although I really wanted a stock build something about this kit just screams "kit-bash me". have to come up with something really cool.

... it is a neat kit and I can't wait to fly it. I bought some B6-0s so maybe I can keep it in the park. or maybe if the club holds a launch next weekend... it was raining this weekend :(

Originally posted by cls
to be fair to Estes though, the instructions do say to mask off the coupler.
Its not the coupler thats causing the problem, I did mask that off as per intsructions. Its the 'Booster Pods', on the sides of the lower stage, which are giving the problem. The paint on the 'inside' edge of them, combined with the paint on the bottom of the main rocket, is causing the stickeyness.

I've attached a pic of the lower stage, showing where the paint has been sanded off, so the upper stage can separate cleanly.

Cyder-

The renegade looks great! Did you do more reinforcing on the pods or just heavy fillets?

I decided on sealling the balsa with CA and going with heavy CA fillets. If the pods pop off too regularly, I'll add a wrap of 3/4 oz 'glass to hold them on.

The paint on the 'inside' edge of them, combined with the paint on the bottom of the main rocket, is causing the stickeyness.

oh, now I see what you mean.

I just checked mine. it isn't binding but there isn't much paint in there either. looks like I got some coverage with primer.

I guess it's stuff like this that makes it a "level 3" kit.

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Did you do more reinforcing on the pods or just heavy fillets?
Just heavy fillets with Plastic Cement. The bond seems very strong, but the ultimate test is a bad landing, of course! ;)

Great looking kit! I saw this at a local hobby shop and was surprised the body tube was so big. In fact my first thought after that was this kit is screaming for a mod.
How do you guys think it would handle going to "D" power?

Current projects
Apogee Aspire, Estes Silver Comet, Fat Boy w/ 3D cluster, Nike-X clone, Mean Machine mod to 29mm.

[Coming up: : Flis kits Tres, Shrox Alien 8, modifying Estes Optima and Shadow for 29mm

Down the road: : My L1 kit, not sure which one, leaning towards DG&A Manatee or Wasp

Any and all suggestions/replies welcome

I like it!

Great job!

And the size is perfect.

That one shouldn't dissapear on you...I hope.

sandman

Back