Estes Renegade Booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
Hello All,

Took advantage of some bad weather to build my new Renegade. What an awesome kit! I've got some concerns about the fragility of the booster, though. I think a lot of you expressed some of these same concerns in the Outlander thread.

Have any of you flown this yet? How fragile is the booster? It seems very big and heavy with lots of lever arms to break pieces on impact.

On the other hand, what a great kit! The possibilities are endless...

MetMan

Not flown mine yet, but the booster does look like one wrong landing could spell doom. The fully loaded bird is quite heavy, so it looks like the staging will happen at a low level, so the booster won't have all that far to fall. This could be its saving grace.

What I may do is put a cluster of three motors in the booster, and have the outboards deploy a couple parachutes for the booster.

Originally posted by MetMan
Hello All,

Took advantage of some bad weather to build my new Renegade. What an awesome kit! I've got some concerns about the fragility of the booster, though. I think a lot of you expressed some of these same concerns in the Outlander thread.

Have any of you flown this yet? How fragile is the booster? It seems very big and heavy with lots of lever arms to break pieces on impact.

On the other hand, what a great kit! The possibilities are endless...

MetMan

2 Words
High-Grass!:D

Great idea! With mine I used cardstock stand offs for the boosters to avoid the sticking problem someone had mentioned previously.

What do you think would would be the ideal parallel booster of choice? A10-3T? B6-2? A8-0?

I'd like to have a Rocksim file for this beast to get an idea of at what height the separation will occur....

Concidering they don't make A8-0's any more...

I was thinking 13mm A10-3T. Nice large nozzle makes it easy to cluster. Also, the shorter 13mm motors will allow more room for an recovery system.

Latest posts

Back