Estes Renegade bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmkSignals

Reaction score
My son got an Estes Renegade for Christmas, and I opened it up last night. OMG, this thing is dying to be bashed!!! Here is my thinking… (oh-oh)… LOL…

I am going to leave the upper stage stock. But the lower stage I would like to convert the main engine from an 18mm to 24mm. The side boosters are BT50, and they supply engine stops in the kit to assist in adding rear end caps into the tube. The boosters also have nose cones which are suggested to be glued in.

I would like to put 24mm motors in the boosters and have the nose cones deploy with streamers attached. I have read a few threads here that say this second stage comes down like a lawn dart.

I am sure I will need nose cone weight. If I measure the CG in the stock Renegade w/2-18mm motors, then add the mods and add nose cone weight to bring the CG back to where stock is, do you think this thing will fly???

I am thinking C6-7 in the upper, C11-0 in the main booster, and C11-3’s in the side boosters on her maiden voyage…

Am I crazy??? :eek:

p.s. - I started thinking in this manner thanks to this wonderful forum:D

Originally posted by smksignals
Am I crazy???

You're asking *US* for an opinion on that?

Originally posted by smksignals
I am sure I will need nose cone weight. If I measure the CG in the stock Renegade w/2-18mm motors, then add the mods and add nose cone weight to bring the CG back to where stock is, do you think this thing will fly???

Sounds like you are right on track.
Only difference might be if you begin to change the fins anywhere (larger, smaller, more, fewer, different attach point, etc) you will probably change the c.p. but if you stick with the same external configuration you should be OK with your ballast approach

Here's one tip - if you're going to have 3 C11 or D12 motors in the boosters (total around 85n initial thrust), make sure to use good STRONG glue on the joints (and lots of it). There is no such thing as too much strength in this. The added power will offset the initial greater weight. Final thing - LAUNCH PICS. We all love pics. Good luck, and I hope it turns out well.

Originally posted by cjl
make sure to use good STRONG glue on the joints (and lots of it).
More glue does not necessarily equate to strength. Use the right glue for
the materials being joined. Make sure you have a good joint before the
glue is applied. Follow the glue manufacturer's instructions for the glue
and materials (ie- clamp if necessary, don't subject to extreme temps until
dry, etc). Use the proper amount for the application- it's not necessary
to over do it.

Keep repeating to yourself undtil you believe/understand- "many have flown
paper and yellow glue HPR, I can certainly do it for LPR". ;)

Have Fun!

That sounds like it will be great. Cant wait to see some pics of it

Thanks for the reply’s…. I am still new to this hobby, but lovin it !!! I am going to leave the fins in the stock position. I have built about 6-7 Estes kits now with glue on fins w/o through the wall slots. I dabble wood glue on the root edge and let it dry over night. Later I mask off the fins and apply epoxy fillets. I have only launched the rockets a couple of times, but their fins are still connected.:D

I am quickly finding out a digital camera is one of the requirements around here. I have been in the market for on for a while. Now I have more reason to get off by behind, and get one!!!:p

Um, yea... Um, {cough} of course I checked with him first... LOL..

Actually, after I talked to him about the bash, he is supporting Dad 100% !!! He is all about Bigger, Better, Higher and Faster.

The kids got good taste. He saw the Renegade in the hobby store back in November, and asked if he could get it then, and I was thinking "This would make a great X-Mas present"... He also wanted the Comanche-3 at the same time... Needless to say, Santa delivered on that one also !!! :eek: :cool:

Mine has 2x13mm in the side pods with dual parachute recovery along with 24mm main in the booster. Sustainer is stock 18mm.

Havent had the guts to launch again from the last disaster were the sustainer didnt light.

TonyF

well, I am 0-1 on my first bash. I do have to admit, it was pretty extreme for my first one.

The sucker actually left the pad very nice, and got decent altitude, and lit the second stage. It wasn't very long until I saw parts flying all over. The side boosters completly blew off the lower stage. Lost a fin also. I guess I need to practice my filleting methods (I did use epoxy, no wood glue on this model)...

Nose cone & parachute ejected, but not sure when. I was using the original Estes plastic chute, and it was not strong enough to hold the shroud lines. I think I added to much nose cone weight, via the epoxy and bb method, and the nose cone just ripped away from the chute with the shroud lines still attached. My wife had an eye on the nose cone the whole time. I am glad someone had it in view, and was not close to hitting anyone.

Oh ya, I think I have my first 'Estes' dent on the front of the tube. LOL !!!!

Anyways I am going to find something else to bash. This time I am going to take baby-steps :D

My rocket club(MASA NAR 576) Mn, used the Estes Renegade kits at one of our club meetings as a project. Each member took one of the kits home and built some of the wildest kitbashes I have ever seen, all flew very well. There's LOTS of parts so one can go nuts. I highly recommend the kit.
Mark

Originally posted by snuggles
My rocket club(MASA NAR 576) Mn, used the Estes Renegade kits at one of our club meetings as a project. Each member took one of the kits home and built some of the wildest kitbashes I have ever seen, all flew very well. There's LOTS of parts so one can go nuts. I highly recommend the kit.
Mark

What he said.

You can get a flavor of the results here:

https://www.mn-rocketry.net/masa/mreports/2004/2004-03.htm

I did indeed fly mine on a 7 motor cluster. It flew well, and I got a particularly close up look at it :) [see https://www.mn-rocketry.net/masa/planet/masa_Vol7-4.pdf for the, um, interesting story behind that flight....]

--tc

Back