Estes Red Nova…ANY MODS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeFilgas

The Mighty Saturn V Apollo XI
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just received this today for my fourth (technically) 5th model rocket build. I’m going to mod by using Kevlar secured to the motor mount plus the stock rubber shock cord, but are there any other mods worth making other than dual stage (don’t have a place to launch that.)?E9D4BF24-201A-447D-9207-48B8662629F9.jpeg

You could still do a 2 stage but use the smallest motors possible... based on weight and launch rod speed. That gives you a nice slowish launch with lots of visual wow factor.

Do it... you know you want to.

:computer:

Make sure you line up the two sets of fins with a ruler and clamps. In other words, do the bottom fins first, then build the upper fins lining up the second set with the first. Don't do what I did and line it up by eye (!!!!), but it's a fine Estes kit and on a D motor will fly practically out of sight. If you want to mod it, change out the motor mount for a 95mm long one (different mm tube and metal clip needed) and then the rocket can also accept an E motor. Of course, you'll likely not get it back in that case. Under-chute the rocket -- if it comes with a 15" chute, use as 12" chute, as it's just too light and will float away.

Jolly Logic Chute Release should fit, check the dia, that might help get it back for those higher altitude flights.

Might be stable enough to use only three fins in each set instead of four?

Ejection baffle.

You could cut the upper tube, about where the color break is maybe, and make a coupler/plug to add a payload compartment of the upper portion for an altimeter.

Boat-tail!

Last edited:
I agree with @techrat and using a longer MMT. Not only will it allow you to use a longer 24mm engine should you so desire, but you can use that extra space to install a removable baffle system build using a spent 24mm black powder engine casing. This removable baffle can also serve as your shock cord anchor point, making inspection and replacement a breeze.

Oh, and installing a 24mm motor retainer is another mod you can consider.

RE: Boat-tail. Lower the engine mount slightly to protrude enough for a boat tail, then you could lower the fins to the bottom of the boattail and use some scraps from the balsa sheet to fill in the gap.

For example:

F3AC9EAB-BB6E-4195-BDB1-4F1C4B8B571A.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 1.28.14 PM.png

I am just a fan of boat-tails. And with that nose cone, I think it would really look cool with one.

Last edited:
Just received this today for my fourth (technically) 5th model rocket build. I’m going to mod by using Kevlar secured to the motor mount plus the stock rubber shock cord, but are there any other mods worth making other than dual stage (don’t have a place to launch that.)?View attachment 568017
As noted, a two-stage modification should work fine. Estes makes C11-0 and C11-5 / motors that should be suitable for a recoverable two-stage flight.

Given that this is a BT-60 tube, you could modify to a 29mm mount and fly on E, F, even G power in a small-ish casing. Just remember to check your stability.

Of course, this will require modifications to the recovery system too. Installing a streamer or smaller parachute with a snap swivel should get it back on the field on E power. You may have to take it out to large club field to go for larger motors.

Looks like it will fly fine without that 2nd set of fins. You could gain altitude without the extra drag and weight.

Last edited:
A 10% increase in altitude is quite a bit. This is assuming the second set of fins are aligned perfectly, any variance will reduce altitude as well. Not enough if you think they look cool or prefer to build Kits 100% properly and to spec.

I’m building one now with gap-staging: 24mm motor mount in the booster (long enough to accommodate an E) and 18mm in the sustainer. That should get it good and lost. Fins are papered and I’m thinking of using a streamer for recovery, tied off a Kevlar cord wrapped on the sustainer’s motor tube. Also considering making some kind of altimeter bay in the nose cone, partly to pull the CG forward a bit.

Back