Estes re-issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
I was on a vendors web site the other day (today) and he had the Estes Mercury Redstone and the Phoenix as a "pre-order"

Does this mean these kits are comming back ?

I had not heard that one, although both would be welcome. Then again, I am not the one who keeps close tabs on whatever Estes thinks it will be doing next week...

Might be that some vendor is doing its own "re-issue" because the Phoenix would not be too hard to kit on a low production rate.

What vendor? (can you say here?)
Can you share a website?

I saw it on Rocket Technologies out of Grand Forks N.D.

Me & the brother live 2 hours North of GF and go there often ,but have never been to this vendor`s place (I believe he works out of his house)

I lost my Phoenix last summer due to an unstable flight (forgot to add nose weight)
You know the old saying ..."I shot an arrow into the air.....where it landed ,I know not where" ? Pretty much sums up the flight.

I`d love to get another (although I bought and finished a madcow Phoenix) and would like the Redstone or Nuebauers big version...but alas no more in production.

Man ,there`s a bunch of Estes kits I would love to see re-issued !!!!!

I did not see those kits at the Estes display at ihobby.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Guy

Bummer ! He has them as "Pre-order" and now I see he has the Black Brant for sale @ $16.99

Oh well.....a guy can always dream.:confused2:

Well, I for one would be kinda leery about a pre-order of anything, considering how long Estes has taken to get some of their 're-issues' out there... and in all fairness, Quest as well, and even (gasp) Semroc to a degree, with the much-anticipated but no date yet Saturn V.

Estes and Quest (motors) have both had a lot of vaporware over the last few years, or at the very least (to be fair) long delayed reissues...

JMHO! OL JR :)

Somebody had a nose cone and a booster they built on ebay a while back. A two stage Phoenix would be cool!

SEMROC BNC-80K

BMS BNC80K (scroll down a little to find it)

Shipping is included in Semroc's prices so the two are very similar in cost.

You will need a single 21.6" length of BT-80 (or two shorter lengths and a coupler like they do in the kit), a pair of CR50-80 centering rings, 1/8" balsa stock, and some BT-50 for a motor mount. All can be purchased from most vendors including the same places I've linked nosecones.

Use elastic from the sewing section of your local department store, and pull a chute off another rocket unless you want to buy new kevlar, new chutes, etc.

BTW, SEMROC has everything needed to make a clone except decals and laser cut fins listed on one page. They do have plain fin stock.

Phoenix parts list

BTW, SEMROC has everything needed to make a clone except decals and laser cut fins listed on one page. They do have plain fin stock.

Just to be clear, SEMROC does have laser cut fins, just not for every rocket. I was kind of surprised to find this out. I was cloning an Estes EAC Viper and was all prepared to cut my own fins until I found out they also had the laser cut variety.

Good info ,all taken into account.Think I`ll do a scratch build !

And yes ,being an airplane modeler (1/48 scale mostly) I am all too aware of the dreaded ..."soon to be released"

And yes ,being an airplane modeler (1/48 scale mostly) I am all too aware of the dreaded ..."soon to be released"
:D

"RSN"

real soon now

MarkII

Just Discovered that I don't have the Pheonix decal file.

Already scaned it and I should have that decal finished this weekend.

SEMROC BNC-80K

BMS BNC80K (scroll down a little to find it)

Shipping is included in Semroc's prices so the two are very similar in cost.

You will need a single 21.6" length of BT-80 (or two shorter lengths and a coupler like they do in the kit), a pair of CR50-80 centering rings, 1/8" balsa stock, and some BT-50 for a motor mount. All can be purchased from most vendors including the same places I've linked nosecones.

Use elastic from the sewing section of your local department store, and pull a chute off another rocket unless you want to buy new kevlar, new chutes, etc.

Phoenix parts list

I have most of the call outs ,except centering rings (easy fix) but was wondering on how to scale the fine sizes ?

BB

I have most of the call outs ,except centering rings (easy fix) but was wondering on how to scale the fine sizes ?

BB

When you print the fin scans from JimZ, there is a black rectangle marked "1 inch". If you measure it and it is accurate, your fin templates are correctly scaled. If not, you can enlarge or shrink until you get the right size.

With the PDF file, it should print an accurate template as long as you set up your printing correctly. IIRC, with my HP print drivers, there's a box for "shrink to fit" that needs to be unchecked and it needs to be printed at 100%. Most of the stuff on JimZ, YORS, etc. are scanned at 300 dpi. Make sure you are printing at 300 dpi also.

Back