Estes Quality Control???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
I needed some centering rings for a modification project build I am working on for GARLO (our big local Champaign, IL summertime event, fingers crossed). So I bought a multi pack of Estes centering rings with various sizes. You know, the fat ones, not the flat rings. The package insert has the date June 2015 on it.

Attached are two pictures. One with the rings I got.
The second is the problem one. This ring is supposed to fit a BT5. There is NO way, NO chance, NOT EVEN close. I had to sand them out to make them fit.

Anyone else ever have problems with these?

Attachments

• CR1.jpg
    CR1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 68
  • CR2.jpg
    CR2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 69
My experience so far is that Estes has quality stuff. I imagine that once in the while something slips by. If nothing else Estes does have great customer service. Give them a call and be patient. They seem to have one lady that takes the calls. She's a great help once you actually talk with her.

-Bob

I must confess I'd always prefer that centering rings err on the side of too tight (inside or outside). I'd rather be able to sand them to just the right fit than have them ever be too loose, even marginally so.

For opening up the inside of centering rings may I suggest that you make yourself a sanding stick... https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/in-praise-of-the-sanding-stick.158084/

Paper and wood can easily expand or contract based on temperature and humidity. A centering ring can be just a couple thousandths off and it will seem hopeless. A little sanding and you're good to go. I had to do the same recently on a high dollar fiberglass kit. No biggie.

So I bought a multi pack of Estes centering rings with various sizes. You know, the fat ones, not the flat rings. The package insert has the date June 2015 on it.

Attached are two pictures. One with the rings I got.

So far so good.

The second is the problem one. This ring is supposed to fit a BT5. There is NO way, NO chance, NOT EVEN close. I had to sand them out to make them fit.

First of all, body tubes come in varying shapes and diameters.
I have an inventory of spare 18/24/29mm tubes, some of them are significantly thicker than others.

Thus, it would be reasonable to expect some degree of customization and parts sanding, especially if one is building a custom kit, like you are.

Secondly, you did not say what Estes supply pack you had bought, but I assume is the one like the following, full of BT5-BT55 centering rings: https://estesrockets.com/product/003175-bt5-bt55-centering-rings/
These are made from rough layered paper bands. It's fairly easy to peel off those layers from each other, thus reducing either outside or inside diameter of the ring. Then you can either sand to achieve uniform finish, or just glue them as-is.

Anyone else ever have problems with these?

Kind of, but I would not call it a problem.
On most kits, those centering rings need to be sanded a bit before you could slide them onto an engine mount tube. They are always too tight.
That sanding step is usually called out in building instructions.

You are an experienced builder if you are putting together your own kit.
Calling out tight fitting parts as a "quality control" issue comes across as a bit alarmist?!

These are made from rough layered paper bands. It's fairly easy to peel off those layers from each other, thus reducing either outside or inside diameter of the ring.
Caution: the paper layers on these things are quite thick; removing a single layer may change the diameter by more than you want. Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

I'd start with sanding.

First of all, body tubes come in varying shapes and diameters.
On most kits, those centering rings need to be sanded a bit before you could slide them onto an engine mount tube. They are always too tight.
That sanding step is usually called out in building instructions.

Correct, correct, correct!
Dry fit, lightly peel or sand the inside or outside diameters.
Often on the inside of the centering ring edges are burrs, left from the cutting process. Sometimes these have to be sanded to open the inside diameter.
Years back, the thick card centering rings were die-cut. Now with laser cutting, most everything is more accurate.
I had some loose fits with the old die-cut rings.

Sometimes paper rings have a burr on the inside lip. A quick fix is to push down and ream the burr on a pointy PLASTIC nose cone. Don't try this with a balsa cone. Got this from kit instructions from a Quest model.
I have found Estes products to be of generally fine quality.

Sometimes paper rings have a burr on the inside lip. A quick fix is to push down and ream the burr on a pointy PLASTIC nose cone.

This!

I recently built an Estes kit—the Tazz—that had this suggestion in the instructions, which I found a pleasant surprise.

Back