ESTES PRO SERIES II NEED INFO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
I was looking at Estes Pro Series II launch controller and I have a few questions.
Was looking to replace the standard Estes low power controller I have had for years.
Can this controller be used for the low power engines/igniters as well as the mid power?
Any opinions on function and reliability.
I am hoping to get into mid power soon and would like a system which can do both.

Absolutely. The PSII controller works on just about anything - I use NiMH rechargeable C size batteries (the batteries and charger are nothing special - just standard Harbor Freight stuff) and you can also use a LiPo battery since there’s a JST plug in the compartment. I went with NiMH since I don’t use LiPo batteries for anything else and didn’t want to get into the charging/storage stuff with LiPos. You can stick with disposable alkaline batteries but they only last so long.

I think AC Supply carries the PSII controller at a nice discount - order it when you need motors and save on shipping!

Absolutely. The PSII controller works on just about anything - I use NiMH rechargeable C size batteries (the batteries and charger are nothing special - just standard Harbor Freight stuff) and you can also use a LiPo battery since there’s a JST plug in the compartment. I went with NiMH since I don’t use LiPo batteries for anything else and didn’t want to get into the charging/storage stuff with LiPos. You can stick with disposable alkaline batteries but they only last so long.

I think AC Supply carries the PSII controller at a nice discount - order it when you need motors and save on shipping!
How well does NiMH work when it's about 10F temperature?

My last launch with my PSII took 7 seconds to launch an E motor. I was very surprised on this duration!

How well does NiMH work when it's about 10F temperature?

My last launch with my PSII took 7 seconds to launch an E motor. I was very surprised on this duration

Wow - launching in 10F weather? You’re made of sterner stuff than me!

No idea how lower temperatures affect NiMH batteries, unless you count 40F-ish as “low temperature” since that’s about my limit, in which they work fine.

All batteries suffer from cold temperatures.
NiMH should be fine to fire igniters if fully charged.
Or better, keep them warmer.
Put them in a insulated box (small cooler) with a hot pack or chem-warmer.

My local club uses sealed lead acid and when cold we need to hold the fire button a bit longer but ignites do fire.

I think the NiMH cells will work, the real question is what sort of reduction in performance you can expect. I also think it depends on the size of the cells, as I would assume that larger cells handle colder temps better (larger cells, all else being equal, usually handle higher currents more efficiently).

Another variable is the amount of "voltage slack" you have and what you're trying to ignite. For example, if you have a 12V system running off of sub-C NiMH cells used for R/C cars, and you're using this system for Estes regular igniters, then you'll be fine, even at extremely cold temps. But if you're using 4 NiMH AA Energizer (ie low quality) cells in an Electron Beam controller, then I have my doubts as to whether they would work.

Mmm... I tested the combined battery voltage and it's greater than 9 volts. I wonder if the leads on my Pro Series II launcher has corrosion?

Back