Estes Pro Series II Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I recently received a pre-production unit of the Estes Pro Series II Launch Controller.

This controller is designed to work with the Pro Series II kits and motors.
It uses six 'C' cell batteries for power or has an JST socket in the battery
compartment for use with NiMH and LiPo battery packs.

The controller is continuity safe for use with Quest Q2G2 igniters (I tested it).
A bright red LED light goes on when the safety key is inserted into the controller.
A yellow switch is held down to arm the controller which causes a loud buzzer to
sound. The modeler then depresses a red switch to ignite the motor.

The instructions are interesting in that they show diagrams for how to use the
controller with up to four motor clusters. Hmmm...

I look forward to trying at the next launch I attend. :)

Note: I seem to be unable to post any images. :(

Last edited:
I also got one to test. Very very cool. 30 feet of heavy duty cable. Similar key and rod cap as Command Controller.

Very bright red LED lamp (kind of too bright for my photo!). Loud buzzer.

I installed generic alkaline C cells I had on hand. New alkalines are about 1.6 volts and these were all 1.54 volts.

I used a 2 inch length of 31ga nichrome wire to test current at the clips.
Insert key and red LED lights with 29.8 mA at the clips.
Toggle spring return arming switch and I measured 44.5mA at the clips.
Toggle spring return launch switch and I measured 2.35 A at the clips.

image.jpg

How did you guys get them to test? When do they plan on putting them on the marcher I am definitely getting one.

I also tested a bunch of my Q2G2 igniters and they were each fine with the light and the light plus buzzer (key, key plus arming switch).

For those that like a handy range box to carry their controller safely seperate from other supplies (like motors and starters/igniters), the new controller fits nicely inside an empty box of Dollar Coins.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's good you pointed out that the box is for coins. Otherwise, I would have assumed the box was printed with the price of the controller --- $1000.

How did you guys get them to test? When do they plan on putting them on the marcher I am definitely getting one.
I was exchanging emails with one of the nice people at Estes regarding our NAR Section volunteer work staffing the Estes Make & Take at the recent AMA Expo and he mentioned he was going to send me one to try out.

They are featured in the nice mini catalog included in new kits like this fresh batch of Make. & Take kits.

Hopefully they will be available soon. I know that most of the USA is still frozen while we are suffering with 90F temperatures.

It's good you pointed out that the box is for coins. Otherwise, I would have assumed the box was printed with the price of the controller --- $1000.

We use many boxes of dollar coins in everyday use and for club members to pay our park vehicle fee. They need change and it shows them how much revenue they get from Model Rocket launches. Ditto for our lunch place after the launches (Jack In The Box). They know us very well there as we are regulars with a big group.

One additional test was done with no nichrome wire. Amperage across the clips with no igniter in series was 3.17 A.

I am curious how much current a rechargeable pack will deliver. Could be more and could be a lot more. For normal igniters/starters as indicated in the instructions the C cells should be quite adequate.

The instructions are VERY clear about how many standard Estes Solar Starters and how many Estes Sonic Igniters can be fired in cluster for the different battery options. Highest is the LiPo pack with 6 Solar Starters or 4 Sonic Starters (I guess they will also change their name from "Igniters").

I also received one of these and had a chance to use it a little bit this afternoon. So far no clusters, but I did use regular Estes igniters, the new "starters" and a Q2G2. All worked as it should.

My current measurements are similar to Fred's.

I hope to try a three-motor cluster with it.

I will also make up a lead so as to be able to use a small 3s LiPoly pack in it and will redo the current measurements then.

All these previews and not one of you mentioned it has its own built in clip whip.

Good point though I alluded to it (twice) in my previous post here). I mentioned it explicitly in the parallel thread over on YORF but not here. Haven't had a chance to try that aspect yet. Maybe the next time I get out to fly I can launch my Ranger clone with this controller....using Estes rather than Q2G2 igniters. But I might do a static fire of just igniters first before I try it.

Man, I've been eyeballing this controller for 6 months....is it really finally getting close?

I really hate to necro threads, but the question I want to ask best goes here. Now that this controller has been out a while, what is the general feedback on this? Has anyone tried firing say... a firstfire jr or a copperhead off of this? I mean I highly doubt it will work, but just wondering if it has been done. I am not electrically inclined, and would love to get a controller that I can use to fire off 18 and 24 mm reloads off of with some sort of reliability but not have to get a 12 v battery in order to do so. If I can use this + Sonic igniters to do the job of launching said reloads in either a LiPo or 6C config, this would be perfect.

I've gotten one copperhead to go with the 6 C cells (was helping a TARC team). The second one didn't. I'm sure with a 3s LiPoly of even mediocre quality it would work just fine.

John Boren used one to launch his Navaho at NARAM - two F50s and two Sonic igniters - instant lighting of both motors on both flight attempts. I don't know if he had a LiPoly in the controller or was just using C cells however.

Back